Growing smoke issue over Nebraska/Kansas

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Growing smoke issue over Nebraska/Kansas

Postby azuremountain » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Suddenly this winter/spring I find I can't breathe. I'm up multiple times in the night and smoke is always in the air. I have asthma but nothing like this. I live in Nebraska and call the state FIre Marshall. He says the Nebraska Park and Games Commission got a new federal grant to burn thousands of acres of forest in the next 3 years. Then I call Park and Games and they say there's a new push to burn conservation farmlands instead of mechanical disking. So the farmland is burning too. Then I check the National Weather Service Air Quality index which leads me to a satellite map with massive grassfire burning over Kansas and a smoke plume covering all of Southeast Nebraska where I live. The net effect: one mile visibility, smoke hanging in the spring mist that never goes anywhere, missed days at work and living on oral steroids for months at a time. Where do I start? I've talked to everybody, letters to the editor, etc. We can't move and I can't live here! Thanks for letting me vent...

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.