Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:54 am

I was really hoping I was not going to be smoked out this winter, since my neighbor didn't have a rack outside for his wood anymore and he hadn't been chopping any. So much for that hope. A few days ago, he rebuilt the rack and chopped wood to fill it. I noticed some of the logs were covered with moss, which concerned me. I researched moss burning and couldn't find much...some sites said it will cause a smoldering fire, its good for starting a fire, and that moss smoke is toxic (but didn't say how). I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows if there are any additional toxins or allergens released by burning moss.

Thankfully he hasn't started burning yet...just trying to prepare myself. I know if he starts, it's going to be a lot worse, since the wood's obviously not seasoned. I'm still hoping to stop it :).

Thanks for any input.
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Mossy logs are wet logs, saturated with water, and will smoke like the dickens.

Even dry wood is a very poor fuel choice, given that so-called 'smokeless' fires emit a lot of benzene,
formaldehyde, (carcinogens) and carbon monoxide. (deadly gas)
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 am

Believe me...I know all about how bad even dry wood is....I've been getting "smoked out" by smoke I can't even really see from his fireplace for a couple winters now, and been getting lots of info from your site :). My township refuses to do anything (but I'm going to keep complaining and documenting), and the landlord also refuses and claims he legally can't. Our landlord also says he checked his wood and it's seasoned...when he told me that, I thought "big freakin' deal"...lol. Since I rarely see the wood before he chops it, and never noticed moss before, I wanted to check...add to my "arsenal"...lol. Thanks for the info!
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby Dorre » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:52 pm

What color is the moss? Is it green, or a dried brown color?
Dorre
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:44 am

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby Vulcan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm

[quote="Woodnyet"]Mossy logs are wet logs, saturated with water, and will smoke like the dickens. quote]

Moss on logs has nothing to do with the water content, it does have to do with the environment the tree grew in before it was harvested. A moss covered log could be well seasonsed. The moss does not necessarily fall off when the wood dries.
Vulcan
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: The Pacific Northwest

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am

Dorre wrote:What color is the moss? Is it green, or a dried brown color?


Sorry...just saw this reply. It was green moss.
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:44 am

Thankfully it didn't smoke any worse than it normally did....not that "normal" was good either :). At least we had a milder winter, so their fireplace wasn't used quite as much.
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby cabwaldo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

ok, if you burn wood, your not going to go sniffing the smoke like its coming from roses. I burn pretty much any kind of wood in a wood stove regardless of whether it has moss or lichen or even if its half rotten. no, im not going to die because i burn wood in the winter, and neither are my neighbors. that smoke that comes from wet wood? ITS CALLED STEAM.

I am absolutely positive that you will NEVER stop people from burning wood. that's just ridiculous and half of you who are in favor of stopping "wood smoke" are from the city and have never even lit a fire. your efforts are a precise example of "a waste of time"
cabwaldo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:49 pm

cabwaldo wrote:your efforts are a precise example of "a waste of time"


Do you really think a matter of such importance pertaining to public health is "a waste of time?"
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Ah....trolls.
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby cabwaldo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Woodnyet wrote:
cabwaldo wrote:your efforts are a precise example of "a waste of time"


Do you really think a matter of such importance pertaining to public health is "a waste of time?"


Ok, so you say that even a small amount of smoke is really dangerous and your only talking about wood smoke. Have you heard of emissions from fossil fuels? Both are carcinogens and I think a hell of a lot more engines and furnaces produce a hell of a lot more smoke than the wood stoves and fireplaces in this country. But its still not a health issue-- show me multiple instances of health issues that are DIRECTLY AND DEFINITIVELY related to this "wood smoke". You might get America to switch from fossil fuels to whatever, but make sure you get this stuck in your brain.... YOU WILL NEVER STOP PEOPLE FROM BURNING WOOD IN WOODSTOVES!!!!! People heat their homes like this for FREE and your telling them that they shouldn't be able to because you think the god damn smoke coming out of their chimney is going to do anything?

And also... if you actually knew a thing or two about burning wood besides the fact that it makes smoke, if a wood stove produces smoke that you can see, then it's not running efficiently and your are promoting creosote buildup thus increasing chimney fire risk. In order for the fire to burn off the smoke, it needs to get hot (yes, smoke is un-burnt wood particles in gas form. When it cools, it forms creosote).

So I don't really know what you have to back yourself up but your claim seems to be bull shit to me because I think I know what I'm talking about. Judging by the fact that you hate burning wood, then you should have no reason to challenge me unless you really wanted to get pathetic and research about burning wood just so you can try to challenge what I just said and then realize that I kinda know what I talking about.
cabwaldo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby cabwaldo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 pm

candi wrote:I was really hoping I was not going to be smoked out this winter, since my neighbor didn't have a rack outside for his wood anymore and he hadn't been chopping any. So much for that hope. A few days ago, he rebuilt the rack and chopped wood to fill it. I noticed some of the logs were covered with moss, which concerned me. I researched moss burning and couldn't find much...some sites said it will cause a smoldering fire, its good for starting a fire, and that moss smoke is toxic (but didn't say how). I'm just wondering if anyone on here knows if there are any additional toxins or allergens released by burning moss.

Thankfully he hasn't started burning yet...just trying to prepare myself. I know if he starts, it's going to be a lot worse, since the wood's obviously not seasoned. I'm still hoping to stop it :).

Thanks for any input.



Did you ever think that he might heat his home for free with that wood? And just because he just chopped it doesn't mean its not seasoned.
cabwaldo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Ok, so you say that even a small amount of smoke is really dangerous and your only talking about wood smoke.


Even a "small amount" of smoke can in fact be dangerous for some people. I am considering tobacco secondhand smoke also, as well as diesel smoke, coal smoke, incinerator smoke, industrial smoke, etc. In fact, just today, I blasted on a student who says he removed his car cat-converter. This is not only shameful, it is actually ILLEGAL!

Have you heard of emissions from fossil fuels? Both are carcinogens and I think a hell of a lot more engines and furnaces produce a hell of a lot more smoke than the wood stoves and fireplaces in this country.


This is why we have sophisticated computer-controlled emission systems on gasoline engines, with (future) controls on diesel engines. (Any computer controls on fireplace emissions?)

If an oil-burning car drives down my street, that is a mobile source (it goes away) but my area is choked with wood smoke from no less than six burners, and this is a constant. I don't know what goes on in the entire country, but I can tell you this: I live in a cesspool of woodsmoke. There is no getting away from it.

But its still not a health issue-- show me multiple instances of health issues that are DIRECTLY AND DEFINITIVELY related to this "wood smoke".


You have obviously missed our research section. Check it out and D/L the papers and read them
(most are open access) CLICK HERE

YOU WILL NEVER STOP PEOPLE FROM BURNING WOOD IN WOODSTOVES!!!!!


Don't be too sure. Burning restrictions are already in place in California. Tobacco secondhand smoke is already being banned in many public locations. Wood smoke pollution is expected to logically follow suit (it IS smoke after all)

if you actually knew a thing or two about burning wood besides the fact that it makes smoke, if a wood stove produces smoke that you can see, then it's not running efficiently and your are promoting creosote buildup thus increasing chimney fire risk. In order for the fire to burn off the smoke, it needs to get hot (yes, smoke is un-burnt wood particles in gas form. When it cools, it forms creosote).


I know plenty well about how to burn wood; I had been doing it for many years. (I was using a woodstove back in the 1960s-1980s) Got away from this due to health issues. I know how wood burns. But that means nothing, since I now live in a crowded city where there are already high pollution levels. Last week in fact, we had terrible smog. I don't think it is appropriate to mindlessly dump even more crap into this already-contaminated air shed. Perhaps you live in a wide-open area, which are never under smog alerts? You really have no idea.

So I don't really know what you have to back yourself up but your claim seems to be bull shit to me because I think I know what I'm talking about. Judging by the fact that you hate burning wood, then you should have no reason to challenge me unless you really wanted to get pathetic and research about burning wood just so you can try to challenge what I just said and then realize that I kinda know what I talking about.


I have done plenty of research. I have read all of the papers. You should also, and educate yourself on this topic.

Bottom line is that wood should not ever be burned in crowded cities, for any reason, for the same reason that cigarette smoking should not be allowed in crowded indoor places. This is in fact carcinogenic, as well as a host of other potential harmful outcomes (stroke, heart attack, asthma/COPD attack, etc.

I don't doubt that someone like yourself is going to be against the controlling of wood burning, but then who was against controlling tobacco back in the 1960s? Who knew about asbestos? Not many people. But that changes as more people become aware of the health issues involved. It is a long road ahead.
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby nomorewoodsmoke » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am

Did you ever think that he might heat his home for free with that wood? And just because he just chopped it doesn't mean its not seasoned.[/quote]

what makes you think he is heating his house for free. the poor people at the end of the smokeplume are paying for his "free" heat with their health and ruined quality of life. i am just now in such a situation. chainsmoking tobaccoaddicts as "neighbours" who believe that clean wood makes clean smoke. this is an actual quote of what he told me. clean wood makes clean smoke. it is for ignorants like that that nuisance/tort law was designed to deal with. look it up, you might learn something. the days of you polluters are numbered. more and more lawsuits are being initiated and won for clean air. who suffers from breathing clean air?
who suffers from breathing smokepolluted air? a lot of people.
nomorewoodsmoke
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Moss on firewood...any thoughts?

Postby candi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm

There really is no such thing as "free" when it comes to heating one's home with wood. First of all, study after study has shown that wood fireplaces (like the one my neighbor has) and wood stoves send more heat up the chimney than through the home. Secondly, there is a HIGH cost to the wood burner and his neighbors in negative health impact. Third, there is the cost of ridding the home and neighboring homes of soot and the smell of smoke. And probably the highest cost of all is the potential loss of homes and lives when fires breakout in the chimney.
candi
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Next

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron