#1 Polluters

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

#1 Polluters

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm

#1 Polluters Are (santa cruz)
© craigslist

I am so sick of neighbors who have chimney fires. Polluting the entire neighborhood for blocks and blocks. Blanketing your neighbors in smoke.

It is bad enough to have it all fall and winter, 9 months out of the year here in sunny, mild temperature, Santa Cruz. But Seriously, why must you have a fire in the summer, in Santa Cruz, when it is in the 80's during the day and 60's at night. There is no way you can be cold. And if by some weird, odd chance you are, perhaps you should go to the doctor and get checked out. There is something wrong with you.

You say your house is old and cold. Well, your neighbors homes were built the same time yours was, and with no updates. My house is sweltering in the 80's all day, every day, and might get down to the high 70's at night. I know others are the same. So there is no way your house gets "COLD" in these temperatures. Just be honest and admit you are a pyromaniac.

If your house is "cold" then open the doors and windows and let the fresh, clean, warm air in! Wish I could!- Can't since you pollute the air with toxic smoke.

You have your front door open and as I was standing on your porch I could feel the hot air coming from inside your house (and you were wearing shorts, short sleeve t-shirt). An hour later you have a fire! SERIOUSLY!! Not to mention I've seen smoke billowing from your chimney and all over the neighborhood, you had your front door open (like you often do) and you were outside gardening! I can see you are cold!

But no one believes you're cold. We all know that it is because you want the "ambiance" and you think you are a cave man. Move to Alaska or Siberia. You could probably kill your dinner there too. Why else would you have a fire and also have your front door open, standing in the doorway drinking wine? Meanwhile your neighbors can't be outside or have their windows open on a warm summer night. If we were stupid enough to have our windows open in the evening we get a house full of smoke. Oh yes, of course, your "ambiance" is more important than our ability to breathe unpolluted, non-toxic air. So sorry for asking you to consider those around you!

If you are cold put on your central heat. If you don't have central heat you have alternatives. Stop saying that the fire "is your only source of heat." The air that you are polluting is my only source of air! If you don't have central heat use a space heater. Put on a sweatshirt. Use an extra blanket. You have alternatives! Your neighbors have NO alternatives! We have to breathe. And you are polluting the air we have to breathe! The definition of selfish!

And don't tell me (or act surprised there is smoke) that your fire doesn't produce smoke because you use "dry wood." Or that your smoke goes straight up in to oblivion. It doesn't just disappear. And yes, your fire does produce toxic, harmful smoke!

There are two men on the westside that pollute the air EVERY NIGHT of the year! No, not in the winter when it might be in the 50's. Burr. But year around. Right now, in the summer, when it is in the 80's during the day, and 60's at night. They pollute the air regardless of temperature or consideration for their neighbors. EVERY NIGHT! Try living with that. Try living with your windows closed all year around, on summer nights, for fresh air, etc. You become a prisoner in your own home. Unable to go outside on your own property, open a window, breathe clean air, limiting your activities and movement. How about sweating in your own home because it's so hot but you can't open the window to cool off because you will get a house full of smoke. You can't cook, clean, shower, or just relax because there is no ventilation and escape from the heat inside your home because there is smoke outside. Not to mention the soot that covers all your things outside on your property, and all the soot and dust inside! How can you be so selfish and uncaring?

Why are people addressing the dangers of secondhand smoke from cigarettes, but not from one of the biggest polluters in the world- chimney smoke? Why are there laws for no smoking in parks but the houses butting up/surrounding the park can have chimney fires blanketing the entire area with toxic smoke? Why is chimney smoke better than cigarette smoke? Why hasn't it been addressed? It covers a larger area, affecting more people! How can you be so rude, inconsiderate and selfish? You are affecting people's health and quality of life!

What about those of us that have health issues? Asthma, allergies, lung, heart, etc. issues. Too bad, right? You do have every right to have a fire, but only if you keep the smoke to yourself-on your property, in your house. When your smoke crosses your property borders (onto mine and into my lungs) your rights are no more important than mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if you say you "need" a fire because you are cold. You have other ways of keeping warm. I have no other air to breathe than the air you pollute. You shouldn't be allowed to affect my life, my quality of life, my health. How dare you! Just the nerve and gall you have.

The city should have laws about polluting the air. Santa Cruz has a major chimney fire problem and it needs to be addressed. Just because SC is near the ocean doesn't mean that there is fresh, breathable air. We, at the very least, need spare the air days like a lot of places. Why is there no talk about the pollution from chimney fires? Your fires are not sacred. Santa Cruz is suppose to be "green" and a leader in the environmental movement, why hasn't this been addressed? Are you Prius drivers, composters, recyclers, and do gooders also polluting the air with your chimney smoke?

Santa Cruz Sentinel, why not do an article about this unspoken problem?

And you know what, I go to the beach to enjoy the fresh ocean air, not your disgusting bon fires, cigarettes, or pot smoke!

Just because people don't complain to you doesn't mean that they aren't PISSED at you for polluting their air! Your pollution is affecting, harming, and altering the way people live.They don't say anything because they know you won't care or change. People are selfish and it's all about them.

There should be a law! And hopefully one day soon, there will be. Fires are not sacred!

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ ... wood-smoke

What are the health effects of wood smoke pollution?

Smoke resulting from improperly burned wood contains many chemical substances that are considered harmful such as hazardous air pollutants (HAPs), fine particle pollution (ash), and volatile organic compounds (VOC).

•HAPs are an important component of wood smoke. A group of hazardous air pollutants known as polycyclic organic matter includes benzo(a)pyrene, which may cause cancer.
•Particle pollution in smoke can damage lung tissue and lead to serious respiratory problems when breathed in high concentrations. In low concentrations, particle pollution in wood smoke can harm the health of children, the elderly, and those with existing respiratory diseases. EPA has developed an extensive Web site related to particle pollution.
•Learn more about the potential health impacts of wood smoke pollution from the American Lung Association. Exit EPA Disclaimer
For more information on the toxicity of these pollutants, check out information in EPA's Health Effects Notebook and on the Integrated Risk Information Systems (IRIS). EPA also has more information available at its Air Toxics Web site.

http://www.epa.gov/airquality/particlep ... index.html

source
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/com/4803652347.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.