Air Purifiers.....what's the best for wood smoke?

Ideas on how to reduce particle pollution and how to be "green"

Moderator: turning_blue

Re: air filters

Postby mhaxim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:08 pm

bodhi wrote:greetings Turning Blue, welcome to the forum...
here are a couple of links to check for info about air filters and cleaners:

http://burningissues.org/self-protection.html

bodhi

This will enlighten you the same way it does to me. Just follow the requirements they have and breathe with ease.
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
mhaxim

Re: Air Purifiers.....what's the best for wood smoke?

Postby Mack » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi, Ernest do you think the Austin standard Healthmate or Allergy Healthmate with the HEGA and HEPA or the Helathmate Plus filter work pretty well with the wood smoke?
Mack

Re: Air Purifiers.....what's the best for wood smoke?

Postby Wilberforce » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Unfortunately I have not personally investigated the claims made by various air cleaner manufacturers, per se.

You know how that is, Mack... company A claims that their product is superior to company B's product (and vice versa) It would be a good project to sleuth out university research on this, or perhaps a hunt through Consumer Reports Magazine or other unbiased investigation.

I can say this: a standard HEPA filter for particulates along with activated charcoal for chemical fumes ought to do the job, at least at a minimum level of satisfaction.

Activated Charcoal: The Wonder Substance
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=517

This is interesting: In your kitchen stove hood, there is probably a pull-out wire mesh filter. It might have both large and small grill, or "fabric." I spray this grill with spray on cooking oil. In theory, this can trap VOCs, as they are similar in chemical composition as the oil (hydrocarbon-like).This seems to work when frying foods, so perhaps a larger version might be as effective as a whole-house air cleaner, at least for the nonwater soluble components of smoke?

A caveat: avoid "ion" or other electro-static air cleaners. these generate ozone. While they are effective in trapping ultrafine particulates, they should not be used in enclosed living spaces, for the same reason that ozone generators cannot be used (around people and pets)

I think there is actually an article on the Zeolite over on the main site, but I will have to look for it, (as I am not as familiar of that part of the site as I am The Forum.)
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Previous

Return to Tips and Suggestions