Wood burning a toxic air pollutant

Discussion on health consequences of air particulates

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Wood burning a toxic air pollutant

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Wood burning a toxic air pollutant

Posted on: 9:30 pm, January 4, 2014, by Brittany Green-Miner, updated on: 10:20pm, January 4, 2014

SALT LAKE CITY – Finding ways to combat bad air are a hot topic across the Salt Lake Valley, and experts warn of one source from inside the home.

Residents are making effort to carpool and politicians are pushing for stricter regulations, but something they are doing inside could be causing more damage.

“Wood burning is a bigger issue than any of us have known, here in Utah specifically,” said Erin Mendenhall, Breathe Utah. “Wood burning is accounting for as much direct PM2.5 as our cars and trucks are.”

According to Mendenhall, Environmental Protection Agency numbers show that burning a wood fireplace for one hour emits 3,000 to 90,000 times more pollution than burning a natural gas furnace for that same amount of time.

“We think of it as this nice snowy night lets put a fire on for the ambiance of it. We need to start thinking twice about that kind of decision we make, it is a huge impact on our air shed,” Mendenhall said.

Dr. Brian Moench with the Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment says that wood smoke and industrial admissions are the most toxic types of air pollution, which can have an impact on our health.

“People should understand that when they are burning wood in their own home, they are not only creating a toxic environment for their own family, but because those particles are exceedingly small, they seep seamlessly into neighbors’ homes and affect the health of your neighbors as well,” Moench said.

The Clean Air, No Excuses public rally is being held on January 25 at the Utah State Capitol calling on legislators to act on air pollution issues. The state legislative session begins the next week.

source
http://fox13now.com/2014/01/04/wood-bur ... pollutant/
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 6093
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Return to Health Matters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron