senator blocks vote on resolution on climate change

What is the U.S government doing to stop air pollution?

senator blocks vote on resolution on climate change

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Republican senator blocks vote on resolution
acknowledging climate change is a problem.

By Bruce Alpert, NOLA.com | Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM, updated July 28, 2014 at 8:48 PM

WASHINGTON -- Sen. James Inhofe, R-Ok., Monday night blocked a vote on a Democratic resolution that would have expressed the sense of the Senate that climate change is occurring and will continue to pose an ongoing risk.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., said the resolution was offered, not to offer solutions, but to get the Senate on record as acknowledging that "we know we have a problem."

But Inhofe, who has long questioned the findings of scientists connecting climate change to man-made activities, said the science isn't anywhere near as overwhelming as environmentalists maintain.

"What we should be doing is learning from the international community," Inhofe said. "Just last week, Australia repealed its much-hated carbon tax, the same thing that's been promoted right now -- either cap or trade or tax on carbon." He said Australian officials now acknowledge the tax cost jobs and hurt families without helping the environment.

After Inhofe's raised his objection, enough to block the measure because it was brought up under rules that require unanimous consent, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., described Inhofe as offering up an "alternate reality."

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said her Environment and Public Works Committee recently held a hearing in which four former Republican Environmental Protection Agency administrators testified that climate change is real and must be addressed to avoid significant peril, including more intense storms and storm surge.

"I ask rhetorically: When did the environment become a partisan issue? Boxer said. "When I first got into politics, -- it was a while ago, but it was completely bipartisan -- we addressed this issue together because the health of the American people, the ability to work and breath clean air and not have an asthma attack or a heart attack, the desire to make sure you kids were swimming in safe, clean water and they were drinking clean water, this wasn't partisan."

source
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... _sena.html

__________________________________________________________________________________

I liked this comment: (ed)

john.sarradet 2 days ago

"I hope people try to take a serious, 50,000 ft view of the entire "environmental" debate.

The earth can be described as a closed container. Emmissions kills. Anyone who doesn't believe that should avoid running their car in a closed garage. Sooner rather than later, the carbon monoxide will displace all the oxygen in your blood and you die.

If you run the car in the street, the gasses are still produced, it just goes somewhere else. Sooner or ater it will build up and kill us, for there will be no place to hide.

Agricultural giants across the US apply all kinds of chemicals to crops and animals, but a lot of it drains into streams, then to the Mississippi, and finally past our water intake systems for city use.

Lastly it dumps into the gulf, where it created an enormous dead zone.

Dispersing is not the same as disappearing.

I have to believe that anyone who gives any thought to preserving and improving our environment, our national and world treasure, would take some forceful steps."

• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to American Environmental Issues