Particle count to mass conversion

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

Particle count to mass conversion

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm

The colors are based on the US-EPA zones of air quality index (which is based on mass)

Wilberforce

Re: Particle count to mass conversion

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm

The calculations given assume a specific particle size: 2.5 micron diameter. In reality, there exists
a statistical distribution of particle sizes. I am presently working on such a chart, based on the fact
that particle diameters are distributed over a range of sizes, from 0 to 5 um, centered at 2.5 um.
So far the results of these calculations are close to the "single-sized" calculation, but have a value
closer to the natural distribution of total mass value: f(n) = 0.105n (rather than 0.084n)

I am hoping to complete the calculations soon, and will post them.
Wilberforce

Postby Dorre » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Most researchers simply work out the conversion by comparing two instruments located in the same place. Tasmania's BLANKET researchers report PM2.5 pollution measured by DustTraks - see http://www.environment.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=7583 for pictures of the monitoring setup and a comparison graph of optical and gravitmentric PM2.5 measurements.

Broadly speaking, If your nephelometer shows scattering coefficients, 1 neph coefficient is about 22 ug/m3 of PM2.5 pollution.
If you have a DustTrack reporting PM2.5 pollution using the Arizona Dust calibration, multiplying the results by 0.42 should be close to the true PM2.5 for woodsmoke.

An earlier reference Report:
DEH, 2005. Department of Environment and Heritage. Use of Particle Counters in Woodsmoke Affected Areas:
http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/airqua ... nters.html).

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dorothy
Dorre

Postby Wilberforce » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Thank you Dorothy.

The second link is to a study which has made measurement comparisons of particle count to particle mass.

I've been working on an update to my original, simplistic chart, and have been calculating gaussian distribitions for various particle sizes. The problem is that wood smoke, unlike vehicle effluent, is of widely-ranging particle diameters. The largest particles originate from cool, smoldering wood fires (such a OWBs) and the smallest particles originate from very hot-burning wood fires. Measuring a typical woodsmoke-contaminated environment's PM level gets complicated, given these wide range of particle sizes.

What looks promising is a strongly positively-skewed curve (as mentioned in the study) where the smallest particles are by far the most numerous. If we use an integral calculus formula, we can calculate results which are similar to those in the measurement study: f(n) = 0.4n (that is, ug/m3 = 0.40 of PM2.5 count)
Wilberforce

Postby bushfood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi guys
This may sound dumb, but I have happened across a used Dusttrak 8530 and have been trying to measure local brushfire conditions here in Australia.

I am a total amateur... this is a strange hobby of mine I suppose. So forgive the dumb questions.

1) User calibration factor.... I have read that Dusttraks tend to overcount PM 2.5 mass... is this true? What would be an appropriate user calibration setting for a dusttrak 8530 measuring smoke PM 25?
I assume if the Dusttrak is overestimating mass, then the user calibration factor would be < 1.0... correct?

2) Flow rate.... Also what should the Flow Rate be set at? Currently it's set at 1.0. Is this appropriate for woodsmoke? The manual says something about the factory flow rate set at 3L... how come it seems the device is set at 1.0 by default?

In other ways the unit seems reliable (plausible results compared to comparable results I've googled...) for PM2.5 measurements (e.g. average 7 ug/m3 overnight ambient outdoor air, slightly elevated near a freeway to aboutr 15-20ug/m3, spikes to 100-200 ug/m3 during cooking; shoots up to 30-50 ug when there's smoke on the breeze from burning, etc.... seems to be reasonable)

Over the weekdn we were subjected to a massive and completely unnecessary "controlled burn" which resulted in readings > 2000 ug/m3 for hours on end. Lovely...

thanks
adrian
bushfood

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi There

I had meant to post a count-to-mass calculation, but encountered a conundrum when I realized that lacking actual PM10 count data, I might have an inaccurate conversion. This is because I do not have a PM-10 measuring instrument; I only have a PM-0.5/2.5 meter.

Consider that 10-micron size is by far the most massive in the gamut of airborne particulates. These must be counted in order to ascertain their quantity. Lacking a PM10 meter, I can only estimate the total count-to-mass calculation. This is done by mathematically "fragmenting" a 10-micron particle into 2.5-micron (which would be a larger number) The statistical distribution of smoke particles probably follows a chi-square distribution, where there are many times more ultra fine particles than large ones.
These ultra fine particulates (those less than 1 micron) make up only a very small percentage of total mass. Factoring in this count will not alter total mass contribution significantly. Only the larger sizes really matter.

As time permits, I will resume these calculations and post them (perhaps in a month or so)

thanks for your comment

W
Wilberforce

Postby David Helman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 am

Following on the message I sent when I joined this board, I'd be very grateful if your could continue your work on your calculation that will allow for an estimation of mass based on a specific PM size (PM2.5 is of particular interest to me).

I wish I had the means to buy another instrument that I could compare my MetOne GT-521 with for mass conversation, I don't.

I mostly measure indoor air in a heavily polluted urban setting (Beijing to be specific)

Looking forward to whatever you come up with, and if I do have a chance to compare my findings with someone that does have a mass measuring instrument, I'll let you know how it compares.
David Helman

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Here is a new paper on what we may be looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7383
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to For the Experts