My brother has a question

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

My brother has a question

Postby turning_blue » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:48 am

Is there a monitoring system (officially recognized by any health department) that accurately measures the amount of PM2.5 in air of a particular neighborhood, in the home of a victim, and at the source (i.e. at top of the smoke stack where the pollutants are thought to originate)?
turning_blue

pm2.5 monitoring

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Natalie Morse of the Maine General Hospital Community Health Dept. is working on this with U. of So. Maine. I'm trying to find out the same thing. She is trying to set up a volunteer monitoring system to locate and record the thousands of air pollution hotspots that she and I and the Maine Am. Lung Assn believe exist. This should be a real shock for Maine, when the EPA gets this report. It will probably throw Maine into non conformance and force a plan of action. That is what we are hoping for. Try calling. She works in Waterville, Maine. Area code 207. Prof. Curt Freedman, PE, recommends a portable sidepack system that Mary Rosenburg is experimenting with. My local fire dept. has one as I remember and they came out to my house once to try to measure the smoke. Demand that they come out out in an unmarked car without the siren and preferably without a uniform so you can catch the burner unawares. Waterville Fire Dept., Waterville Maine. Area code 207.
Ernest Grolimund

Postby turning_blue » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Thanks Ernest. My family borrowed the TSI sidepaK http://www.tsi.com/Product.aspx?Pid=4 that Mary uses from local Anti-pollution group where I live. Mary told me that these monitors are calibrated for Arizona road dust. I would think training is required to use them.

I know these have been used to monitor air in restaurants that had smoking sections. They proved that , obviously, the sections didn't make a difference.

http://www.ccap.etr.org/base/documents/ ... OTOCOL.pdf
This explains how to set the calibration to zero. I wonder if any health departments use these for citizens with complaints? Thanks so much for responding.
turning_blue

Return to For the Experts