For the experts: Leaf smoke

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

For the experts: Leaf smoke

Postby edwardgreisch » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Please make a map of leaf smoke for the US and Canada. Where in the US and Canada is there the least smoke from the burning of leaves in the fall? [Smart-alec answers like the south pole and a desert island don't count. There has to be a reasonable chance of buying a house there and actually living there permanently.]
edwardgreisch

I don't understand

Postby woodburner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:49 am

So you are saying you want somebody to make a map of all the places where people burn leaves? I think this is a house by house issue, not a regional one for the most part. If the area has leaves, then there is a chance that a neighbor will burn them. It all depends on who the neighbor is.
woodburner

Postby edwardgreisch » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:27 am

NO IT IS NOT A HOUSE-BY-HOUSE ISSUE!!!!! Leaf smoke, like all smoke, travels for miles or hundreds of miles. Whole valleys/airsheds fill with leaf smoke every fall.
edwardgreisch

Postby FriendofAir » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 am

Fortunately, in San Diego we do not have this problem. I believe there are many areas that are beginning to prohibit open burning. It would be interesting if someone could compile a map showing these jurisdictions in conjunction with a map showing areas of vegetation that loses their leaves during fall.
FriendofAir

re:

Postby woodburner » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:17 am

edwardgreisch: What do you mean? You mean to tell me that there are regions where everybody burns leaves and regions where nobody burns leaves? What I'm saying is that burning leaves is such a random thing that you cannot map it. If I burn leaves, but nobody within a couple of miles burns leaves do you mark my entire county as a leaf burning region? What if somebody who has never burned leaves before decides for the hell of it he's going to burn today? I think that's how it usually works. It's not like people have giant leaf burning incinerators that they use day and night. It's like hmmm I think I'll burn this pile of leaves. I just don't think you are taking a rational approach to this.
woodburner

Return to For the Experts