What's the difference between Diesel pollution and WS?

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

What's the difference between Diesel pollution and WS?

Postby turning_blue » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Could someone please find an article that compares the two? Thank you!
turning_blue

Diesel and wood smoke

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 am

Call your state DEP. In Maine , they list woodsmoke as the number one air toxic and diesel second. They have sources. They used to list chemicals in smoke as the air toxics. You should check everything.

Of the top of my head, wood is a solid fuel like coal, so it is harder to burn than a liquid or gas. Wood has more moisture than coal so it is harder to burn. Wood smoke has more uncombusted products in it's smoke than diesel smoke so would have more pm and air toxics. Reasons for better combustion? More surface area exposed to oxygen. That is why engineers use carbs or fuel injectors. I don't have time to research all my comments. Sorry.
Ernest Grolimund

Re: What's the difference between Diesel pollution and WS?

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Actually Ernest, more surface area does not necessarily result in more complete combustion.

The relationship is best described as; greater surface area = higher combustion rate.
higher combustion temperatures = more complete combustion.
However, the relationship is much more complex then this statement would suggest.

You make a lot of general statements that sound good, but that are in fact not correct.

For instance: You state that "wood is a solid fuel like coal, so it is harder to burn than a liquid or gas". Sounds good, but have you ever tried to burn water?
Do you suppose that it just might burn faster and ignite easier the solid Rocket fuel? And how about CO2? It's a gas. How well does it burn?

Sure I know that CO2 is not a combustible. But do you? Grease is also a liquid, does it burn better then Wax. a combustible solid?

You also state, "I don't have time to research all my comments. Sorry." You really should you know. Maybe then you would know what you are talking about.
Oldtimer

Re: What's the difference between Diesel pollution and WS?

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Ernest is an outside commenter whose views and opinions do not necessarily reflect the position of BurningIssues.
Wilberforce

Return to For the Experts