Coal stoves ? Cleaner than wood? OK?

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

Coal stoves ? Cleaner than wood? OK?

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 pm

This energy crisis is making me confront all kinds of burning issues. I seem to be a lightning rod for all kinds of stuff. The latest is my daughter going to a friends house with a coal stove, burning anthracite coal which is the dry, easy burning variety. My daughter has asthma so I worry constantly. The stove does not smell. You see no smoke. But my eyes started to burn after 5 minutes in the same room with it after I went close to the stove. The air from inside is drawn into the stove for the most part, it seems, and is exhausted out. My daughter does not react strongly and her peak flow is not affected by hours in the room with the stove. I am not panicking because of this, but we got smoked out by woodburning and I am leery of everything now. One of the kids has asthma and the coal burners used to burn wood for ten years. The only clue I have is that my eyes started to sting after 5 minutes. I don't like this but do not know anything about coal burning except that history books decry what happened in England from coal and everyone is complaining about China's air and cancer is higher around coal power plants. I suspect particulates are high and nobody can smell them so they think everything is OK, but it is not. Any thoughts? Any experience or knowledge?

May have gotten an answer the hard way. My asthmatic daughter may have gotten sick. No asthma attack fortuneately, but she got a cold. Smoke reportedly, is immunotoxic and leads to more infectious disease. I experienced slightly burning eyes and she may have gotten a cold. That is enough for me. I have to err on the side of safety and keep her away unless someone can prove it is OK. The burners are not going to do it, for sure. So, I'll have to call the doctor again. He already told me he advises every woodburner to get rid of their stoves if they have allergies. Woodburning always seems to cause problems and patients usually get better when they do.
Ernest Grolimund

Coal Cleaners

Postby dwayne.eri » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:58 am

The concept of clean coal is touted as an environmentally acceptable solution to climate change and global warming by coal industry groups. Greenpeace is a major opponent of the concept because emissions and wastes are not avoided, but are transferred from one waste stream to another.

Suggestions are most welcomed lincenergy.us
dwayne.eri

Postby Wilberforce » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 am

Dwayne, I can't figure you out. Are you for clean coal or against it?

Your other four alises keep showing contradictions.
Wilberforce

Return to For the Experts