smoke residue

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

smoke residue

Postby muddywaters » Mon May 14, 2007 6:29 pm

ok the neighborhood wood stove has been burning all winter. Now I can see smoke residue all over both their house and mine. Any suggestions on how all this wood smoke residue will effect my wood siding. It seems to me that the wood smoke residue is collecting wood on my siding and the mold just loves it. Am I just imagining it?

emotional intelligence is the ability to empathize with other people
muddywaters

Postby woodburner » Tue May 15, 2007 5:37 am

Take some pictures. I've never seen smoke residue on a house. If you are correct however, I'd like to see the pictures.
woodburner

Postby bodhi » Tue May 15, 2007 7:58 am

muddy waters and taj mahal....
sounds like a great blues and jazz festival!

check out the taj troubles------>
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

the Taj Mahal, is renowned for the paleness of its marble, but these days it looks more yellow than white.

A report Monday by a parliamentary panel blamed air pollution, saying the Taj Mahal is encrusted with "suspended particulate matter," or granules of dirt and soot found in high levels in the air around the site in the city of Agra.

hmmmmmmmm....
bodhi

Postby woodburner » Tue May 15, 2007 10:55 am

From the article: "To prevent pollution, visitors must park nearly two miles away and take battery-run buses or horse-drawn carriages to the site."

Maybe you should try that approach. Make visitors park down the street and take a carriage to your house.
woodburner

Postby Harley » Tue May 15, 2007 1:15 pm

bodhi wrote:check out the taj troubles------>
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

the Taj Mahal, is renowned for the paleness of its marble, but these days it looks more yellow than white.

A report Monday by a parliamentary panel blamed air pollution, saying the Taj Mahal is encrusted with "suspended particulate matter," or granules of dirt and soot found in high levels in the air around the site in the city of Agra.

hmmmmmmmm....

HMMMMMMM... Unless i missed it in the article, I don't think it was mentioned what the cause of pollution and/or particulate matter..... Care to speculate as to the reason for the poor air quality in India? My guess is it was NOT caused by OWB's or woodstoves, or pellet stoves, so maybe, just maybe there could be other sources of particulate pullution.... just a hunch.
Harley

Postby bodhi » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Harley,
the article didn't mention any specific sources...
just that the building discoloration was caused by particulates and soot from air pollution.
bodhi

smoke residue

Postby muddywaters » Tue May 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Yes, I have pictures. I also see plumes of smoke entering my property from this smoke stack. I saw an eco-energy site to label the level of smoke and it burned at least a 5 ( the worst)about 50 times this year. This smoke stack is VERY CLOSE to my house. Do people really have the right to do this to me? The residue WAS NOT ON MY HOUSE BEFORE this smoke stack and woodburner was installed.

Emotional intelligence is the ability to empathize with other people
muddywaters

Postby Harley » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

bodhi wrote:Harley,
the article didn't mention any specific sources...
just that the building discoloration was caused by particulates and soot from air pollution.

I understand that.... I just didn't think the issues in India were anywhere near what the original question posed on this thread was asking. I'd actually like to see some pictures of the damage caused by the "offending neighbors" wood burning habits (to get back on topic), since what was described really to me sounds more like mold growing on the siding of their house, rather than any "soot or residue" settling on the house. Quite frankly, that really seems very unlikely
Harley

Maybe I should describe it as smoke damage

Postby muddywaters » Tue May 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Ok then lets convince people who have a fire in their home that smoke damage is non-existent. No need to have any smoke damage clean up. See I think that the continuous smoke from the wood burner is acting like smoke from a fire and causing smoke damage to my house. Sometimes the smoke is so thick that it appears there is a FIRE IN MY YARD. I actually awoke one morning to so much smoke I THOUGHT there was a fire in my yard.
muddywaters

Postby bodhi » Tue May 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Harley,
considering that soot and particulate matter are certainly present in smoke, there just might some similarity between taj's pad and muddy waters.........

Muddy,
it sounds like your neighbors are irresponsible woodburners.
i understand there are quite a few operator variables in obtaining excellent performance from a wood stove.
maybe some of the woodburners on this board have suggestions you could give them.
hopefully their input will help get rid of the smoke, soot, particulate, carcinogenic, mutagenic and other associated unpleasant chemical byproducts that are impacting your home life.
~bodhi
bodhi

Postby Harley » Wed May 16, 2007 5:10 am

OK.... in order to throw out some possible solutions to the problem... I think we need to understand the situation a little better.

What region of the country are we talking about? What is the "relationship" with the neighbor? If its not already strained, perhaps muddy could talk to them and find out the type of stove, how it is set up.... is the neighbor burning dry, seanoned wood? Is the stove EPA approved? Has the stove been inspected, cleaned and serviced? What type of chimney is the stove connected to?

Pehaps if we know some of the details, we could offer suggestions to help make the stove burn properly (it sounds like it is not, goven the description)
Harley

Postby bodhi » Wed May 16, 2007 5:28 am

good thoughts Harley, thanks for your input.
bodhi

Re: smoke residue

Postby woodburner » Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 am

muddywaters wrote:Yes, I have pictures. I also see plumes of smoke entering my property from this smoke stack. I saw an eco-energy site to label the level of smoke and it burned at least a 5 ( the worst)about 50 times this year. This smoke stack is VERY CLOSE to my house. Do people really have the right to do this to me? The residue WAS NOT ON MY HOUSE BEFORE this smoke stack and woodburner was installed.

Emotional intelligence is the ability to empathize with other people

When was the last time you cleaned and stained your wood siding? You should be doing this every few years. Wood siding gets dirty, and moldy by nature, and if you don't stain it it will really look bad. It gets dirty and moldy whether the neighbor burns wood or not.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/378_Natura ... _TLC.shtml
woodburner

Thanks for the great wood siding care info

Postby muddywaters » Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 am

Thanks for the link to taking care of wood siding. I will use this this summer on my siding. Hopefully that will help. Now, as for the answers to the questions about the woodstove. Well, I have tried to talk to the stove owners without success. They, of course, see it as their right to burn wood. I can understand this, but, the smoke stack is located behind thier house and right next to mine. So, the smoke enters my yard, not theirs.
Ugh! As far as the certification goes, I do not know. My guess is no this is not a certified stove. I think it is an older model. The chimney it is a metal type. I think it is self-built. I live in the Midwest. Now, I really do not want to make trouble for my neighbors, hence my reluctance to do anything:(
Right now, it is not an issue, but in the fall I dread the coming of winter. I go out in my yard, and the smoke begins. I feel overcome with smoke and have to go back in the house. As I said before, if you look up the site on eco-energy it burns at level 5 (the worst) about half the time.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/DEQ-A ... 0820_7.pdf
See page 27 of this link

And, please lol I do not need yet another log on that fire.

But, seriously, any help you can give me is appreciated

Emotional intelligence is the ability to emphatize with other people
muddywaters

Postby Harley » Fri May 25, 2007 6:52 am

Well if it burns at a 5, based on the chart about 1/2 the time, there's definately a problem. Do you know for sure that it is a stove, and not a fireplace? Are they burning for heat or just atmosphere?

If the neighbor is burning to heat his house to save money, and he's sending that much smoke out, then he's wasting money. Maybe that's an approach he may listen to.

Another approach may be to talk to him when the chimney gets cleaned out. Ask him about creosote buildup, and general safety, That much smoke out the flue would probably have a lot more creosote than there normally should be.
Harley

Next

Return to For the Experts