smoke residue

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

Re: Thanks Harley and Bodhi

Postby Harley » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:17 pm

muddywaters wrote:Well, I thank you for your input again. I have thought this over-I mean Harley's ideas about the barbeque. Well, I think I have to think of this woodburner as more of a hands on learner. Hence, if I try to talk to him about the issue he may not listen. Even if it is in a backdoor kind of way. See remember here that he thinks he is correct. I thought about a smoke detector that might go off when the smoke comes my way, something like that. Any ideas here? Something that might bring his attention to the smoke when it is occuring without a direct kind of confrontation.

Well - at least there is some time before you have to go the smoke detector route... I'm not sure that would really work if it is that bad.

In the meantime... the BBQ, or just a 1 on 1 talk still may be worth a shot during the summer. Again.... it's tough to tell what is wrong without really knowing what the neighbor is doing, or what the setup is.

Have you ever called or talked to him when the conditions were at their worst, and said to him.... "come over here and look at what's happening?", and what was the response?
Harley

Harley

Postby muddywaters » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Yes we did call him one night when the smoke was trailing down our property about 15 feet off the ground. This did not work he compared it to leaf smoke. We got the impression we should ignore it.
muddywaters

Postby Harley » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Muddy:
It's really tough to tell what's going on, or what the problem is without knowing what he has, or how he is burning/using his stove.

If he needs to be a "hands on" type of person to learn, then maybe he needs to learn how to run his stove properly. Even an older, Pre-EPA stove can, and should be able to work without making any or much smoke.

The best I could say is to try to find out what's going on over there in a friendly way, and then maybe we could give you some advice.
Harley

Smoke residue

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:21 pm

I have seen hundreds of old stone buildings in Pittsburgh stained and discolored by smoke from steel mills and coke plants and coal burning. It is well known that pm and smoke of all kinds leaves a residue on buildings and it is hard to clean. Pictures of woodsmoke residue can be found on MPA's site. I have personally witnessed the brown and black residue on a neighbors chimney from black carbon and brown creosote and have read of towns saying this is a sign of improper combustion and a dirty stove. It is an indication that this equipment is even worse than a normal certified stove and they can be bad enough if dirty and burning green wood or if they are starved for oxygen by burning in a tight house that does not let enough air in to burn properly. In fact, I theorize that fires in the past got more oxygen and were not as bad since nuisance laws from the past say any strong smell or smoke is a nuisance or health problem. The oxygen in the air has gone down 50% as CO2 has gone up.
Even the woodburners agree this situation sounds nastier than normal and normal can be nasty enough. See an Am Lung affiliated doctor and get a medical opinion and lawyers opinion and have the lawyer write a letter saying it is neccesary for your health that this nuisance be corrected. A witness will help too. This will make the neighbor take notice. Give him time to sort it out and get over his anger if you can. This approach worked for me and others. Do not tolerate this. It sounds dangerous.
Ernest Grolimund

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:23 pm

My late grandfather smoked cigars. Always had one in his mouth while at home,
and while driving. After he died, I 'inherited' his 10-year old car, a blue Plymouth
with (what looked like) brown interior. I was amazed how bright blue the vinyl
became after a good cleaning.

I worked after-hours in a bar, sweeping up and loading the coolers. The 'tan'
color suspended ceiling should have been white, I guess. Everything had a sort
of sticky film clinging to it. Tables and chairs, bar, etc. Even the red carpeting
was a dull brownish-red hue. Of course, state law directs that vent fans run,
and I did not get much of the prior smoke, but vents are not enough.

If people are getting smoke desublimation on their homes from wood smoke,
I believe it. Don't have to convince me. I've seen something similar.

I wish smokers (and recipients of secondhand smoke) could look inside of their
lungs and blood vessels. Makes me wonder if smoker's blood is brownish-red
rather than bright red? (I'm thinking of that sort-of-red carpet at the nightclub)
Wilberforce

Residue in lungs

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Residue in lungs. That is the important thing woody. You hit it right on the head ! When young, a school took all the children to see a film on smoking and they showed pictures of lungs from autopsies of smokers. Black soot from carbon. Brown mucus from tar. Quite a lesson. Saw it when I was ten and still remember it at 55. I have got a local hospital taking up the issue. She is trying to educate she prepared an educational brochure with Burning Issues information. This could be the most important work you ever do, working on CAR.
Ernest Grolimund

Previous

Return to For the Experts