Energy Efficient Afterburner - Patent 5460511

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

Energy Efficient Afterburner - Patent 5460511

Postby Tomfirth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm interested to know what the expert's opinion is on this device: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/47709379/En ... nt-5460511
Tomfirth

Re: Energy Efficient Afterburner - Patent 5460511

Postby Tomfirth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:57 am

Could I get W or any other expert to comment on this please? I know some anti-wood-smoke people see this as a possible alternative, but I have my doubts.
Tomfirth

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Tom I am a fully-trained (but retired) automotive mechanic. I am qualified in this area.

Let us take a look at a car catalytic converter.
This device works best when fed from a tuned engine's exhaust, with precise air/fuel ratios, spark timing, etc.
Any deviation from this norm can result in massive converter malfunction. For example, a poorly-firing spark
plug or plug wire can send large amounts of unburned fuel into the converter. This causes a runaway temperature
rise in the converter core, up to the point of meltdown. At that point, the converter's core, which is principally
ceramic, cracks and crumbles, as it is being exposed to a severe temperature gradient (think of cracked china.)
Since the core melts (yes it can get that hot) the device then ceases to function.

Now imagine a wood-burning stove, with it's (A) ultra-wide variations of temperature effluent, (B) wide variation
of combustion efficiency, and (C) the lack of precise electronic controls (which the modern car has) Using an
example of a disconnected sparkplug wire in a car causing malfunction, or even destruction, of a cat converter's
reactor element, I can see how a similar anomaly can also possibly happen in a catalytic converter-equipped
wood stove. Especially since the average wood-burning user has no idea of how to create a small, hot fire; but
quite the opposite, creates a huge, over-fueled, cool-burning, smoldering mess! In that case, the converter
would not last long at all.
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Postby Tomfirth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I suspected as much. Thanks W.
Tomfirth

Return to For the Experts