does it help to plant Leyland cypress ?

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

does it help to plant Leyland cypress ?

Postby smokeyinNJ » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:12 pm

I have a neighbor who burns wood in a backyard oven with a 5 foot stack. She states it's not possible from an engineering perspective.
to raise the stack above the roof lines

I want to know if a row of Leyland Cypress would help to block the fine particulate matter. I heard they clean the air because the particles "stick" to the tree.

Does anybody know about this as a remedy for mitigating smoke?
smokeyinNJ

Postby woodburner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:49 am

Of course it's possible. How do you build a chimney for a furnace that extends above a roof line? Cement block, clay liner, mortar. Granted it would be expensive and a pain in the ass.

How close are your houses? If you live in an area with small lots, there is probably an ordinance against open burning. Look into it.
woodburner

Postby FriendofAir » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't believe planting Leyland Cypress will do much good. I have at least a 40 foot buffer of dense shrub's, Eucalyptus trees, palm trees, Acacia, etc. Unfortunately it is not sufficient in blocking smoke coming from that direction.

One would think a buffer such as this would help, and it may, but if my windows are open, it's still like being in the smoking section.
FriendofAir

Postby woodburner » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 am

I think there could be a rule. If it's warm enough for palm trees to thrive, it's too warm of a climate to bother burning wood for heat.
woodburner

Postby FriendofAir » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:05 am

woodburner wrote:I think there could be a rule. If it's warm enough for palm trees to thrive, it's too warm of a climate to bother burning wood for heat.

We agree again, except...The preponderance of the wood-burning that occurs in coastal Southern California is for ambience, not heat. Besides the local yahoos, there are plenty of commercial establishments, resorts and restaurants that have the fireplace going while the air-conditioning is running.

That's why I get so pissed off when smell my neighbors smoke inside my house because I left my windows open. Forget the rule, there ought to be a law!
FriendofAir

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:04 pm

FriendofAir wrote:there are plenty of commercial establishments, resorts and restaurants that have the fireplace
going while the air-conditioning is running.

Burning wood in an indoor fireplace, when the outside temp is 90 degrees? That's simply cuckoo!
People should wait until the temp drops well into the 40s before lighting a fireplace. But then, it
rarely even gets that 'cold' in southern California.

I've begun keeping all of my windows closed 100% of the time, (and running A/C) even in mild
weather, because I once made the mistake of going out having left them open, only to return to
a smoke-filled house. That crap smell gets into the carpet, furniture, clothes, everything.
Talk about an outrage! This may actually constitute a mild form of property damage.

Furthermore, running air conditioning isn't free; it's very expensive. These firepit users are thus
actually costing me money! This is money I would not have to spend to cool down the house, if I
could just open a window instead. They are stealing both my fresh air and my (scarce) money!

Sorry for going off-topic here, smokeyinNJ, but I agree with FoA, there is no type of tree which is
going to filter out all of the noxious, toxic, corrosive chemicals. (they may even damage the tree)

By the way, did anyone notice the new forum category: Tips and Suggestions
Wilberforce

Return to For the Experts