Dusttrak 8530 troubleshooting

Technical questions that one would like posed to experts
(scientists) in fields related to particulate pollution.

Dusttrak 8530 troubleshooting

Postby bushfood » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi guys, I really value this forum, thanks for your efforts!!

I have a DustTrak 8530 desktop aerosol monitor.

It is a 2010 model. Last calibrated March 2011 (but used very infrequently)

It has been working fine over the last 3 months with periodic 24-hour data samples.

But when I recently turned it on for a quick survey, it constantly read "0.000mg/m3"

I then cleaned all the filters (the two internal ones) and cleaned the 2.5um sampler etc. (which I do periodically anyway)

What happened next is that readings went "all over the place"... jumping wilding from 0.003 to 0.1 to 0.056 etc.

There was certainly not a wildly variable aerosol content on this day (without doubt).

What puzzles me is that this SUDDENLY started happening (i.e it was working fine, then suddenly the other day it started behaving like this)

Would calibration fix this? Or is this a sign of a leak or malfunction? Is there a way I could attempt to fix myself? (costs $600 over here to get calibrated at factory)

Thanks!
Adrian
bushfood

Re: Dusttrak 8530 troubleshooting

Postby Wilberforce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi there!

I only have experience with particle counters, but not with mass nephlometers (which is what you have)

I will contact someone I know as soon as time permits that might know about this, but in the mean time, you should call a company rep to see if they can help you diagnose the problem

Just off the top of my head, is it battery-operated, or AC powered? Was the unit near extreme cold, heat, or humidity? Could the fan be clogged with dust? Perhaps the fan motor is running erratically?

Thanks for your interest in our site!
W
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to For the Experts