Carbon monoxide warning over ash from stoves

News specifically pertaining to Air Pollution-Related Health Issues

Moderator: turning_blue

Carbon monoxide warning over ash from stoves

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Carbon monoxide warning over ash from stoves

10 December 2017

Firefighters are warning people not to keep ash from wood-burning stoves inside because of the danger of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

It follows an incident in Newton Abbot on Saturday when a CO alarm went off, but the log burner had "zero readings".

Crews discovered the colourless, odourless and tasteless gas was coming from a bucket of ash in the lounge.

Embers in the bucket gave off potentially-lethal readings of 378 parts per million (ppm).

Health effects from exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm are uncertain, but as levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms including headaches, fatigue and nausea will become more noticeable and can become life-threatening within three hours.

"The occupier empties the old ash from the log burner into the bucket regularly but does not take it outside until its full," the brigade said on its Facebook page.

"The embers were producing CO into the lounge which caused the CO alarm to sound - luckily for this person they had an alarm."

source
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-42300475
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 6063
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Return to Health News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron