Fireplace problems blamed for five house fires

The dangers of backyard fire pits - news and op/ed

Fireplace problems blamed for five house fires

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Fireplace problems blamed for five house fires in the KC area
December 8
By TONY RIZZO
The Kansas City Star

At least five house fires in the Kansas City area over the weekend are being blamed on improperly maintained or unmonitored fireplaces.

Shawnee firefighters reported that a fire early Sunday morning in the 11900 block of West 66th Street that caused about $130,000 in damage started in a lower-level fireplace. There were no working smoke detectors, but one resident saw smoke and the residents escaped uninjured, fire officials said.

Kansas City, Kan., firefighters responded to two fires Saturday night — in the 1900 block of South 16th Street and the 1900 block of South 65th Street — that originated in chimney flues or around fireplaces, they reported. In both cases, smoke detectors alerted residents and no injuries were reported. Firefighters rescued an unconscious dog from the 16th Street fire and were able to revive it.

On Friday night, a fire at a home in the 2400 block of Stewart Avenue was blamed on an unattended fire in the fireplace. The home was being remodeled and was unoccupied at the time, the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department reported.

Lee’s Summit firefighters reported a house fire Friday night in the 1300 block of Southwest Crossing Drive that started in a chimney flue. The occupants were able to get out of the house before firefighters arrived and were not injured.

Fire officials reminded people to have their fireplaces inspected before using them and to make sure they have working smoke alarms.

source
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/08/46 ... d-for.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 5966
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Return to Fire Pits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron