Deceived and discontented OWB owners

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

New Approach

Postby MPA » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 pm

I have decided to post here quotes that I have come across from owners of OWBS. I am NOT condoning the use of OWBs nor supporting the other comments made on the below forums. I am simply pointing out the truths of what some OWB owners say about their "so-called" super investment. These are not fictionalized words, the following comments are from owners of OWBs.

ENJOY

Feel free to post them also if you find them.
MPA

Confessions of an Outdoor Wood Boiler Manufacturer

Postby MPA » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Most consumers can not justify 8 or 10 thousand dollars for a furnace. I am saying this to say that it is possible for manufacturers to build an efficient, reliable, easily operated stove. However, be prepared to pay for it.

"I must say I am appalled at the lack of progress in outdoor wood furnace design. Most of the manufacturers have not improved their design at all!"

Source: Online wood heat blog, former OWB seller
MPA

Postby MPA » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:25 pm

They had a bit of a boon when they first came out with thier outdoor wood furnaces, but people are slowly beginning to realise just how much wood these things use and their sales are falling off.

Up here where winters get brutally cold (4+ months in the -20oF) and they have to burn an obscene amount of wood to generate enough heat to warm a house. They are terribly inefficient.

Source: OWB owner in MN, from online do it yourself blog
MPA

Postby MPA » Mon May 25, 2009 2:01 pm

[quote]"Most of the people I know like the smell of smoke," Gifol said. "Even kids. They pass by my house and they say, "Hey, Mr. Smoke Guy!"'[/quote]

A very proud title to apparently have.

Source: Smoke article in New Jersey newspaper
MPA

Re: Deceived and discontented OWB owners

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Frustrated OWB Owners
http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?s ... &p=3869760

OMG, you have NO Idea! We are in the upper Midwest, aka Boonieville MN.... we have an "Outdoor Boiler."
Which translates to a big freakin death trap, top half full of approx 400 gallons of water, bottom half full
of burning wood. Pipes underground from that mess to the basement, which heats the forced air that the
furnace blows around the hot water pipes.

Which is all fun & all.... except when YOU'RE the one that has to go out there & put MORE wood in the
Bia... when it's -30 out.... the logs stick to your gloves, & when you open the stupid door, it backdrafts,
& melts your eyebrows & lashes off your face. If THAT wasn't enough fun for you.... & because of that
experience, you decide to wait till the pig is pretty close to just coals, then go to throw some wood in it.

You open the door, there's 3 6 inch coals in there. So, you have to go get your Valley Vet catalog to rip
up to get more wood going.... only to spend the next 45 minutes cussing the state you're in because the
wind is blowing the smoldering smoke in your left eye.

You get mad, go to hubby's shop & get a can of used motor oil to start some serious fire.... only to singe
what was left of the lashes all to heck. Flash Fire.... then the pig goes back out. Great. (You quietly cuss
Wally World for not carrying fake eyelashes in seasons other than Halloween...) & debate grabbing the
gas torch out of Hubby's shop to get this mess going.

A little acetylene, a sparky thingie, & we'll get 'er going, right? Nope. Wind shifts, & the snow is blowing
in the stupid door.

So.... do we get the siphon hose & suck gas out of the truck? Sure, why not, we're already minus all facial
hair anyways....

Spend 12 minutes throwing up gasoline, trying to decide if the numbness in your arms is from the cold
or if you're having a stroke...

Dump the coffee can of gasoline in the pig, only to hit the ground to avoid the fireball.......

...........which goes out in 32 seconds. Dammit. WHY couldn't we have bought a propane furnace instead
of a grand worth of dry oak??

Say screw it, make a pot of coffee, go back to bed in the king sized waterbed that's thermostat is at 90,
& pray the power doesn't go out, so you don't wake up on a 300 gallon ice cube.

I miss Arizona. I really do.

http://forums.horsecity.com/index.php?s ... &p=3869939

Oh yes, the exercise of getting wood. And it has to be dry wood, not wet or green wood. Unless you're
going to cut it, split it, and season it. No eyebrows, eye lashes, smoke in your eyes and everything else,
ashes blowing in your face. House filling with smoke, wood bark everywhere, chimney fires, spruce gum
all over your hands, house anywhere from 70 to 85 degrees. It only gets 85 when you're trying or
desperately need your sleep. Only men can sleep when it's that hot in the house. Then when you go
to someone else's home, who don't have wood heat, you freeze constantly. I tell you, if I could afford it,
I'd go geo thermal and never have to get another load of wood again. No matter how much I like my wood heat.

Tucki, it would not be cost effective for you.
Wilberforce

Postby tompte7 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:37 am

MY MORON neighbor couple come from rural WA state. In the 1950's, when they grew up 'on the farm', science regarding toxic, carcinogenic wood smoke was non existant. All the Dads built indoor & outdoor fires & everyone breathed in the garbage. Now they live in suburban Seattle & we are 100' downwind from their 2 fireplaces & a new outdoor firebowl. Due to wind directions, no other neighbors are as deeply effected as we are. The law is inadequate because it panders to the 'home & hearth' lobby. We've spoken to them about this twice & they've blown us off both times. I plan to use my wood chipper as early as is legal & when ever they have a campfire party. I have some emails from WA state EPA that i'll post in the next few days. I'd love to 'converse' directly with anyone who understands my situation in the Seattle area. Thanks. Our email is stevmar@msn.com. [[PS: what is an OWB? ]]
tompte7

Postby Wilberforce » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi there! Welcome to our particle pollution forum, and the best site on the web
for wood smoke educational material. Be sure to visit the main site (click on the
logo at the top left of the page.)

Do you have pictures or video to share with us?
Wilberforce

Postby Tomfirth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Tom.I share your frustration about people's freedom to poison their neighbor with woodsmoke. I am in a similar situation, though not as bad as yours. If you have a local Air Quality District, work them them as much as possible. Here is a link to my post regarding working with the air district in my area: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3386 Try to educate as many of your neighbors as possible about the dangers of woodsmoke; you will find all the information you need for that task at this site. Here is a great article to begin with: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3395&p=9044#p9044 the people with small children. Take videos and pictures. Try to stir up some outrage over the selfishness of woodburners and their seeming indifference to their neighbor's health. The problem is that woodsmoke is a silent killer. This issue has no pile of dead bodies to draw the media's attention. People can be so short sighted!
Tomfirth

Postby MPA » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

What is An OWB?

You don't really want to know.

Click on the links below to find out about them.
MPA

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm

This guy is really dissatisfied with his new OWB.
Apparently he did not know that they are designed to smoke badly.

Part 1: my smoking outdoor furnace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KgEKzGC64

Part 2: Crown Royal furnace smoke out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWcBGsUu18

Part 3: the Crown Royal Furnace smoke continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOrdaHVkEE

Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdgJOLcp1A
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Previous

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups