Default Fire pit spinoff: The Fireplace Delusion

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Default Fire pit spinoff: The Fireplace Delusion

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:03 pm

online message board (post #1 shown)

Jul. 4, 2014, 03:53 PM #1
Bristol Bay
Bristol Bay is offline Advanced

Join DateOct. 2, 2012
Posts1,683

Default Fire pit spinoff: The Fireplace Delusion

Let me preface this by acknowledging that many of you live in rural areas where your neighbors are far away from you. Or burning wood may be how you heat your house.

I became interested in the effects of wood smoke because after a lifetime of special occasion/Christmas Eve lighting a fire for ambience, etc., new neighbors moved in two doors down (they are renters) who use their fireplace excessively. I live in a city, in a hilly area with narrow lots, where it is impossible not to notice the nightly fires. Both my husband and I develop headaches instantly from breathing the smoke. During winter, we are prisoners in our own home. We can't crack a window in the bedroom at night. Sometimes late at night, he'll start a fire, so we go to bed thinking we're safe, and wake up two hours later with the smell of smoke under our noses like a cartoon.

With all the information out there, it amazes me that more has not been done to curb wood smoke fires in urban areas. We can't burn our trash anymore; our cars all have catalytic converters. Bus fleets have converted to natural gas. It just seems strange that this isn't more of an issue when the science is there.

Why are we in such denial about wood smoke?


http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...place-delusion

"Here is what we know from a scientific point of view: There is no amount of wood smoke that is good to breathe. It is at least as bad for you as cigarette smoke, and probably much worse. (One study found it to be 30 times more potent a carcinogen.) The smoke from an ordinary wood fire contains hundreds of compounds known to be carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, and irritating to the respiratory system. Most of the particles generated by burning wood are smaller than one micron—a size believed to be most damaging to our lungs. In fact, these particles are so fine that they can evade our mucociliary defenses and travel directly into the bloodstream, posing a risk to the heart. Particles this size also resist gravitational settling, remaining airborne for weeks at a time.
Once they have exited your chimney, the toxic gases (e.g. benzene) and particles that make up smoke freely pass back into your home and into the homes of others. (Research shows that nearly 70 percent of chimney smoke reenters nearby buildings.)

Children who live in homes with active fireplaces or woodstoves, or in areas where wood burning is common, suffer a higher incidence of asthma, cough, bronchitis, nocturnal awakening, and compromised lung function. Among adults, wood burning is associated with more-frequent emergency room visits and hospital admissions for respiratory illness, along with increased mortality from heart attacks. The inhalation of wood smoke, even at relatively low levels, alters pulmonary immune function, leading to a greater susceptibility to colds, flus, and other respiratory infections. All these effects are borne disproportionately by children and the elderly.

The unhappy truth about burning wood has been scientifically established to a moral certainty: That nice, cozy fire in your fireplace is bad for you. It is bad for your children. It is bad for your neighbors and their children. Burning wood is also completely unnecessary, because in the developed world we invariably have better and cleaner alternatives for heating our homes. If you are burning wood in the United States, Europe, Australia, or any other developed nation, you are most likely doing so recreationally—and the persistence of this habit is a major source of air pollution in cities throughout the world. In fact, wood smoke often contributes more harmful particulates to urban air than any other source..."

source
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showt ... &p=7651429
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 6064
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron