Ten Excuses Woodburners Use

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:09 pm

by Vic Steblin

I have noticed the following standard comments from wood burners and even senators! The most popular is to point out all the pollution from vehicles, industry, forest fires or dust. Wood burners seem to transfer blame and ignore their own smoke.

Second, is to claim “humans have natural health defenses, so a little bit of smoke doesn't matter”. They sometimes mention relatives who lived long lives and burned wood. Like many cigarette smokers, wood burners seem to downplay health effects. Some have regrets later when health fades.

Third, is to say “the current laws allow burning wood” and also the cavemen and pioneers burned wood. They ignore how modern society has changed and also ignore modern heat technology. They point out how bad coal is when wood produces even more smoke per unit of heat.

Fourth, is to plead poverty, while actually having a house or driving around in a big truck to haul wood. They tell any complainers about their smoke to pay their gas bill.

Fifth, is to say “wood smoke smells nice like cooking so it must be safe”. They ignore research studies that show wood smoke has many polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) that damage health.

Sixth, is to belittle anyone who complains about wood smoke and then point out that there are more pressing concerns like drugs and crime. They say "Get a life".

Seventh, is to say “wood burning reduces CO2 emissions”. The stove industry also tells us that using wood is clean, green, safe and cheap. But burning wood actually produces more CO2, soot and methane per unit of heat than natural gas.

Eighth, is to tell people “just move away”. Fine for the cavemen, pioneer days or rural areas but modern society has too many crowded areas than need cooperation and consideration.

Ninth, is to say “Show me the science that wood smoke is bad”. Then wood burners do not actually read the reports and some say that they will use the research reports to light their next fire.

Tenth is to complain about too many laws, nanny state governments, the meddling clean air agencies and that people can govern themselves. Well, no abuser likes the law.

Finally, wood burners often say “I have the right to heat my home with wood” or “I will die with a poker in my hand” or "Just try and stop me from burning". This is not responsibility or consideration to others.

All the above comments have decent replies. In general, anyone who still burns wood in crowded areas is inconsiderate to others. If you burn wood in a crowded area shame on you for the smoke abuse.
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups