Urban fire pits annoying, dangerous

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Letters To Editor

Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 6:00 am

Letter to the editor by Karen Rooney | 6 comments

A wood fire either for heat or ambiance is universal in its appeal and few would deny their joy of sitting by the fire at the lake watching the sun go down. Although, when at the lake the only air that you are depriving someone of is your own, or your fellow camper.

Breathing in wood smoke is equally damaging as puffing on a cigarette or inhaling exhaust from a stationary truck; in fact, wood smoke is 30 times more potent a carcinogen. The particles from an ordinary wood fire are smaller than one micron, a particle far more dangerous to your lungs than cigarettes.

On Saturdays and Sundays I wash my clothes as these are the only days when the hydro rate is low. I like the smell of clothes dried naturally and I help the environment. But, on these days I must be home by 3:30 p.m., because by 4 o’clock the ritual of wood smoke fires begins and the smoke will again drift toward my home.

The city bylaw suggests that fire pits be extinguished by 11 p.m., but most people do not pay heed. If they do, most rarely put their fire completely out and so the smoke smoulders in the wind, all night long. My windows remain closed.

I don’t have the luxury of air-conditioning and I wouldn’t want it. I prefer fresh air.

It is unethical to deny someone clean air to breathe and should be illegal, especially in urban areas.

Why would our city deny smokers a cigarette in public and yet allow wood burning fire pits? It makes no sense! Where is their commitment to the health of its citizens?

Where is the concern for those who have respiratory health problems and what about our children’s health and their general well-being?

Everyone is talking about the never-ending rise in health care costs but the truth is society is unwilling to change. Neighbours with their archaic fire pit behaviour should consider others before lighting up.

Who was the fossilized person in the city or fire department who decided they would de-regulate the use of fire pits in the first place and put our health at risk? Where are all those environmentalists who advocate environmental change? Probably sitting beside their fire pit with a cold one!

Karen Rooney
THUNDER BAY

source
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/opinion ... 0709d.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups