Clean Air Council Launches I See Smoke

Be a part of the solution to air pollution.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Clean Air Council Launches I See Smoke

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Clean Air Council Launches I See Smoke- Innovative Application to Report Wood Burning Practices
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
October 27th, 2014

Mollie Simon
(412) 275-0600 x 128
msimon@cleanair.org

Clean Air Council Launches I See Smoke- Innovative Application to Report Wood Burning Practices

Pittsburgh, PA – In an effort to raise awareness of open burning and wood smoke pollution issues, Clean Air Council has developed an innovative new tool called the I See Smoke map, which allows those affected by wood smoke pollution to report when and where they witness pollution. Residents can visit ISeeSmokePA.org to help the Council and appropriate environment agencies locate where wood smoke may be an issue in a community.

“As someone who has managed asthma since childhood, I am often afflicted by smoke pollution from open burning in Allegheny County,” said Don Van Kirk of Franklin Park. “It burns your eyes, stings your lungs and is more than just a nuisance, it is debilitating. This is a great tool to report violations”

Biomass and wood burning are often promoted as green and renewable energy sources of heat without proper consideration of the health and environmental impacts. The burning of biomass, such as wood, results in high levels of soot, particulate matter, and carcinogenic material being released with comparatively little energy produced. Everyone’s health can be impacted but especially children with their developing lungs and the elderly.

“The adverse health impacts of wood smoke are significant,” stated Joseph Otis Minott, Executive Director of Clean Air Council. “The Council encourages individuals to use the I See Smoke application to report wood burning emissions in the community to protect their air quality.”

The I See Smoke tool is a resource to help provide additional information about where wood and biomass burning is occurring and to streamline the reporting process of potential air pollution violations. By using the application, the public will ensure that the Clean Air Council, PA Department of Environmental Protection and appropriate county agencies will receive notification about the complaint. Visit ISeeSmokePA.org for more information.

###

The Clean Air Council is a member- supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone's right to breathe clean air. The Council is headquartered in Philadelphia and works through public education, community advocacy, and government oversight to ensure enforcement of environmental laws. For more information, please visit http://www.cleanair.org.

source
http://cleanair.org/program/outdoor_air ... plication_
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Take Action in Your Community: Local Groups