A better use of wood pellets?

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

A better use of wood pellets?

Postby pm2.5mary » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Wood stove pellets....ingredients?
I am looking into substituting some of my litter for my small animals with wood stove pellets at least partially, because I am going through a lot of the expensive stuff since I adopted two more. It ... (more)
I am looking into substituting some of my litter for my small animals with wood stove pellets at least partially, because I am going through a lot of the expensive stuff since I adopted two more. It was a suggestion someone made on Yahoo!Groups. Some things are not save for all animals so I need to know what exactly the ingredients in wood stove pellets are?? Is it wood and if so, what type of wood?
BTW, I'm talking about ferrets.
I do scoop twice daily, but since I adopted my boys I've also retrained one of my girls. She used to be paper trained and now uses the potty along with the others, so I basically quadrupled the usage. And YES, my babies are worth it. I'm simply checking out a suggestion from one of my group members and honestly, if I can save a little bit of money I will do that. I would never jeopardize the health of my ferrets. I haven't been doing this since yesterday.
PS: Thanks for your answers.
(less)
"Particulate pollution is the most important contaminant in our air. ...we know that when particle levels go up, people die. " (Joel Schwartz, Ph.D., Harvard School of Public Health, E Magazine, Sept./Oct. 2002)
Find more at http://burningissues.org
pm2.5mary

Postby MSG » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:44 am

wood pellet stoves emit less then 1 gram per hour of particulats. I say burn em like there intended. But to answer your question, they make a great beding material. Lots of horse ranchers use them.
MSG

Postby UncleRich » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:04 pm

[quote="MSG"]wood pellet stoves emit less then 1 gram per hour of particulats. I say burn em like there intended. But to answer your question, they make a great beding material. Lots of horse ranchers use them.[/quote]

Yeh, all that's true, but horse owners only use the softwood pellets. That helps clear up the waste in the West and parts of Canada. Reduces the production of that toxic methane gas and the ugly piles.

The folks in the East suffer from that harwood sawdust and shavings. Can't use those with animals, what can they do? Just make methane, deplete the ozone and get skin cancer? Seems unfair.
UncleRich

Postby slowzuki » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 am

A serious reply,

It is a bit enviromentally questionable to use pellets as bedding. Up to 30% of the energy value in them has been invested in getting them dry enough to burn in a pellet stove. A better choice would be the raw product that goes into producing pellets such as sawdust or shavings.

These products are also cheaper and the same as pellets are compostable. I hope the litter is not being tossed in the garbage.
slowzuki

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.