OWBs are prohibited in the state of Washington.

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Re: Wood heat is not carbon neutral. Please Publish.

Postby NY Woodburner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 am

pm2.5mary wrote:
Dear Editor:

As an environmentalist, engineer, and professor of alternative energy, the “Inconvenient Truth” is that the irresponsible application of technology can create environmental conditions worse than global warming.

Instead of spending several thousand dollars on an OWB, it is better to simply conserve energy. It is more cost-effective and less polluting to upgrade the insulation, windows, and heating systems in our homes as well as install solar panels or wind turbines to save money and utilize truly clean renewable energy.

Our heating technologies should evolve beyond basic wood burning methods that cavemen used some 500,000 years ago.

-Professor Curt M. Freedman, PE, CEM

This caveman statement says it all - clearly Curt has considerable research to do on modern woodburning.

I don't disagree that conservation plays a role. I also think solar is an important supplement - I have a solar thermal system myself.

While it is by far the most cost-effective alternative energy source by leaps and bounds for domestic hot water production, it is still not at all viable for heating in a northern US climate for most residents if cost is even a remote consideration. The solar thermal pays off for domestic hot water production because you reap the benefits of that system year-round. Solar heating for your home in the winter would drive a huge array that is at much lower production in the winter - great if you have unlimited disposable income, but not practical for 99% of Americans. At some point, it becomes silly.

In my case, building out a solar heat array large enough to heat my home would require clearing the 50+ foot trees that surround my house. That would in turn drive tremendous A/C load that I currently avoid in the summer thanks to those trees. Where will that electricity come from? A $40K PV system or a coal plant? Both are not attractive.

The reality is that the entire portfolio of technologies all play a role depending on where one lives. In CA, I'm sure a modestly sized and semi-affordable solar thermal system can heat a house. In the northern US, that is just not the case for most homes and EPA wood heating plays a valuable role in weaning ourselves off fossil fuels.
EPA certified catalytic wood heaters - A carbon neutral renewable green energy solution!
NY Woodburner

Postby xarmynsdq » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:06 pm

its should be noted that Wash. state has for several years not allowed any non epa phase 2 wood burning or pellet stoves, there is no such thing as an epa certified OWB. that is why they and any and all other epa exempt units are not allowed in Wash. state. epa exempt are also not allowed in colorado. so OWB's arent found there either to my knowledge
xarmynsdq

Postby Anti-Cancer from New York » Wed May 23, 2007 7:04 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I AM SO HAPPY THERE ARE DECENT PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO KNOW ENOUGH TO BAN OUTDOOR WOOD BOILERS IN ORDER TO PROTECT PEOPLE'S HEALTH AND WELL-BEING, AND THEY ARE NOT JUST TRYING TO MAKE ANOTHER BUCK AT THE EXPENSE OF PEOPLE'S HEALTH.
GETTING CANCER CAN BANKRUPT PEOPLE. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYONE I KNOW THAT IS HAPPY ABOUT HAVING CANCER.
Woodsmoke causes cancer. Woodsmoke kills. Cigarette smoke kills 1200 people a day in America. About 1 out of 2 people now have cancer in the United States. Without your health, you have nothing
Anti-Cancer from New York

Postby begreen9 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 pm

AC in NY, I am with you on keeping OWBs banned until they burn very cleanly. But you act like the woodburning community is personally responsible for your problems. That just isn't so. Living in NY pollution might just be, but not wood burning.

What with the signature line? Every other person in the US has cancer??!! I don't think you are even remotely close. 10mil out of 300mil = 3%. And lung cancer from woodsmoke as opposed to cigarettes and urban pollution is a trivial percentage. Stop the sensationalism.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/conte ... ?sitearea=
begreen9

Previous

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.