Nearby town crushes changes to wood burning code

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Nearby town crushes changes to wood burning code

Postby woodburner » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:14 pm

A town near me has just tried to sneak in some burning restrictions, only to find 200 angry people lined up for their board meeting. Some of the changes they were trying to make would require residents to apply for a permit to have a wood stove in their home. Haha. I think we had one of these California folks move over here and get elected to the town board. Around here we burn wood to keep warm in the winter, and everyone but this person realizes it thankfully.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs. ... 30322/1006
woodburner

Postby Harley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 am

Amazing - well hopefully, common sense will prevail. Sounds like the residents really wanted to know who came up with that hair-brained proposal. I find it interesting that the town supervisor "wasn't aware" there were so many town residents burned wood for heat.

Now, that should tell you that the vast majority of the woodburners there are burning clean and effeciently (since the town "leaders" don't even realize its going on).
Harley

Poughkeepsie banned outdoor wood boilers!!!!!!!

Postby Anti-Cancer from New York » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 pm

this is not a matter of numbers, or dollars, or who can burn the most logs. It is a matter of life and death, health, and respect for one's body, and for one's neighbor.
438,000 people died from smoke in our country last year--cigarette smoke. And none of you probably care about that. Because woodsmoke is 12 times more cancerous than cigarette smoke, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. So I hope you all have good health insurance and are prepared for medical bills. Poughkeepsie, NY was intelligent enough to ban outdoor wood boilers in the entire city, even though only ONE person opposed them. It is not numbers, or dollars, it is HEALTH!!!
Woodsmoke causes cancer. Woodsmoke kills. Cigarette smoke kills 1200 people a day in America. About 1 out of 2 people now have cancer in the United States. Without your health, you have nothing
Anti-Cancer from New York

Postby woodburner » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:39 am

Yeah, sure, just like how there are 149,222,108 people with cancer in the US, right?
woodburner

Postby Harley » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:30 pm

woodburner wrote:Yeah, sure, just like how there are 149,222,108 people with cancer in the US, right?

It must be right, I heard that statistic from someone who's neighbor's cousin's sister-in-law read it in the National Enquirer... Good enough proof.
Harley

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.