San Diego Air-Quality

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

San Diego Air-Quality

Postby FriendofAir » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:35 pm

I was going to post this last night but thought I would give it one more night. Much to my surprise, the nighttime air quality for the last two evenings at my house in San Diego is better than the nights when my neighbor uses his fireplace. And that fireplace is at least 200 yards away.

As soon as I open my back door I can tell immediately if one of the neighbors are burning wood. Fortunately, at least for the last two nights they have refrained from using their fireplace. And the air smells much better for it!
FriendofAir

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:46 pm

FriendofAir,

It is good to hear that your homestead was not affected by the fires.

I expect that the fires might make the general public in California ponder the consequences and negative health effects
of smoke. This may be a favorable time to get new legislation passed at the state level, focused on wood smoke pollution.
As you said in an earlier post, the great State of California usually starts the nation's important health trends.
Wilberforce

Postby FriendofAir » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:05 pm

I am still somewhat disturbed with the fact that my neighbor's fireplace is even more detrimental to my air-quality than the huge fire event and the resulting degradation of air-quality experienced this week in San Diego County.

Officials are discouraging exercise and other outdoor activities even while the air quality levels are moderating. Air-quality levels have been hovering between 100 and 150 on a scale where 300 is hazardous. I hate to think what the air-quality is at my back door when the neighbors smoke is making a beeline for my property. My neighbors smoke is stronger and more noticeable than whatever we are experiencing now with the results of the fires.
FriendofAir

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:47 pm

FriendofAir,

Have you spoken with this polluting neighbor? If you already have, let me guess; I could bet he's one of the
what I call the "I have a right to" people. This type of person will eagerly tell you all about their own rights,
but have difficulty understanding that there are others nearby who also have rights. You know the type.
They bluntly declare, "It's a free country, so I can do whatever I want!" Such is the typically childish manner
of thinking of a slow, uneducated, perhaps criminal mind.

Please read my essay: Google 'firepit' for the short list of some of the bad habits and inconsiderate behaviors
of this type of shamefully self-centered individual.
Wilberforce

Postby bodhi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:29 pm

Woodnyet wrote:FriendofAir,
Have you spoken with this polluting neighbor? If you already have, let me guess; I could bet he's one of the
what I call the "I have a right to" people. This type of person will eagerly tell you all about their own rights,
but have difficulty understanding that there are others nearby who also have rights. You know the type.
They bluntly declare, "It's a free country, so I can do whatever I want!" Such is the typically childish manner
of thinking of a slow, uneducated, perhaps criminal mind.

woodnyet,
very well put...
i know of a woodburner who once declared:
"i have a constitutional right to burn wood"

it was then that i realized the truth about smoking (woodburning) neighbors.
the whole to smoke or not to smoke issue is not really about medical problems, health studies or legality issues,
what it is really about is being a good neighbor.
consider what one of the citizens of edina minnesota said when he learned about the problems recreational fire pits were causing in his town:
"You shouldn't have to tell people how to be a good neighbor"
~Jim Hovland, mayor

i would ask the woodburners this:
if your parents, grandparents or children lived in the homes surrounding yours and they informed you that your firepit/woodstove/owb/etc. was causing them distress because their house was filling up with smoke, or they couldn't use their yard or open their windows due to the smoke and stink, what would you do?????? explain to them that your fire is legal, therefore there is no real problem... or maybe they're the ones with the problem?
the truth about smoking neighbors is this:
if a smoking neighbor continues to burn even though they know they are placing others in distress (maybe even in harms way)
they do not posess an atom of grace, compassion or consideration for others. indeed if said woodburning neighbor had any old fashioned consideration for others not only would he comply with a request for relief but he would shut the problem causing device down forever.
what this is really about is just old fashioned concern for others.
~bodhi
bodhi

Postby FriendofAir » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:42 pm

I am still trying to determine which of two or three neighbors is "stinking up the neighborhood."

Once I figure it out, I have no problem discussing the situation with them.

I like your Firepit essay Woodnyet. You should submit it to your local newspaper.

Also well said bodhi.

What you guys are saying is so basic and obvious. For the most part, people are oblivious and not aware of their surroundings, not even recognizing when the air they are breathing is compromised with smoke.

I would hope that a large percentage of recreational burners would stop burning once they are made aware of the problem. But maybe I am naïve.
FriendofAir

Postby woodburner » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:51 am

if your parents, grandparents or children lived in the homes surrounding yours and they informed you that your firepit/woodstove/owb/etc. was causing them distress because their house was filling up with smoke, or they couldn't use their yard or open their windows due to the smoke and stink, what would you do?????? explain to them that your fire is legal, therefore there is no real problem... or maybe they're the ones with the problem?

I would likely roll my eyes and humor their concern. Why you ask? Because I would be certain that they were completely exaggerating the situation. My wood stove certainly is not filling anyone's house with smoke. It is not plausible.
woodburner

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:14 am

bodhi wrote:i know of a woodburner who once declared: "i have a constitutional right to burn wood"

It's a fair bet to say that this man was probably not a constitutional lawyer. If someone makes a ridiculous statement
like this, the burden of proof is on him. I would ask him to cite Supreme Court decisions, legal precedents, common
law, and so on. Show one and all, exactly where in the U.S. Constitution, does it state that anyone has such a right?

Incite him to prove exactly what he is stating. Without certification, a statement is merely an opinion. We know what
is often said about opinions: 'everyone's got one.' (no need to repeat any off-color jokes here) I would surmise he also
has a clever, carefully-selected Bible verse at hand, claiming similar rights?

The invocation of religion or conjured excerpts of legal writings is a common defensive convention among the poorly
educated. Of course, I certainly would not, by any means, want to take the proclaimations of a fool too seriously.
Wilberforce

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.