Vermont- Most woodstoves per capita...

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Vermont- Most woodstoves per capita...

Postby FriendofAir » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:52 pm

Vermont- Most woodstoves per capita and the cleanest air in New England!

If this statement is in fact true, does it lead to a false conclusion? Do I gather that increased use or higher per capita rate of woodstoves results in cleaner air?

If not, the statement is all but meaningless,
FriendofAir

Postby FriendofAir » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:02 am

At first read, the statement seems to imply that because so many people burn wood, Vermont is blessed with great air quality. Obviously, this would be counter-intuitive to me.

At least it appears that you realize Vermont's clean air has very little to do with wood stoves but rather a lack of population and industry.
FriendofAir

Postby FriendofAir » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:45 am

Like I said "at first read" it sounded like someone bragging that they had clean air because so many burn wood. I just wanted to confirm that you understood that you are merely stating two unrelated (but true) facts.

I'm sure that many years ago, you could be almost anywhere on the planet and believe that our natural resources are so great that any human action can not hurt the environment. Given time, increasing population and growing awareness, these attitudes change.

I also saw the lure of a rural lifestyle and spent 15 years in Idaho (and had a wood stove to heat my house). In that environment, I also thought that burning wood made perfect sense. Now I believe that if you can smell smoke you are too close.

I was not aware that it is "very politically incorrect" to wish someone a Merry Christmas? Even here in California Christmas is quite popular and still a legal holiday.

Merry Christmas and a Happy (smoke-free) New Year to all!
FriendofAir

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.