Michigan ban on owbs may be forthcoming

What is the U.S government doing to stop air pollution?

Michigan ban on owbs may be forthcoming

Postby bodhi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:14 am

Outdoor wood-burning stoves to be debated

Published Thursday, December 13, 2007
Globe News

HURLEY -- The future of outdoor word-burning stoves in the City of Hurley will be addressed by the planning and zoning committee.

Council member Don Richards said a statewide ban on the stoves may be forthcoming.

Mayor Joe Pinardi said area business operators selling the stoves will be invited to the committee meeting. He said the city should take action before the stoves possibly become a problem.

The chief concerns with the stoves are about creating neighborhood pollution.

Gogebic Range residents who live in country settings have used firewood for fuel for decades, and that could increase as the cost of fuel oil and natural gas continues to skyrocket. But will the outdoor furnaces cause too many conflicts in the city?

Wood smoke's major ingredient -- tiny particles of soot and liquid pollution -- can cause heart disease and asthma attacks.

Officials across the country are attempting to reduce smoke from the nation's 37 million home chimneys and 10 million wood stoves.

USA Today reported recently that communities from Darrington, Wash., to the greater Pittsburgh area are offering incentives to anyone who junks a wood stove that is more than 13 years old.

USA Today also said seven northern states want a federal crackdown on heating systems that rely on water warmed by burning wood.

Attorneys general of Michigan, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Vermont petitioned the Environmental Protection Agency in August to set limits on emissions from outdoor wood boilers and Wisconsin may follow that action.

full article:
http://www.ironwooddailyglobe.com/1213hur1.htm
bodhi

Postby Wilberforce » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:41 pm

This PDF article on OWBs is the same one from the "clean-air kit" post, in case you have missed it:
(note to dial-up users: large 3.5 mb file; est. 5-10 min D/L time)

http://www.cleanairkit.ca/smoke/downloa ... report.pdf

On page 74 (or page c-2) see the chart:
There were est. 29,568 boilers sold since 1990 in Michigan alone, the top state in sales.

Oh, I'm soooo proud of my state, being in first place! (I should say last place) :(
The cranially-challenged Mich. Senate cannot even get a simple smoking ban in restaurants;
what kind of luck will they have with OWBs - What with the opposition and lobbying of the
HPBA (Home of Pollution and Bad Air) and other misguided organizations.

I'm dreaming of a smoke-free Christmas... (Apologies to Irving Berlin) :o
Wilberforce

Postby HowFun » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:24 am

I think you'll have a hard time convincing voters that this is a good idea. Too many voters have these systems and rely on them to heat their homes.
HowFun

Postby FriendofAir » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:54 am

The good news is that the 30,000 boilers that are are already in place represent a small fraction of the state population.

The bad news is that a relatively small percentage of the population is affecting thousands of neighborhoods across the state, reducing air quality and quality of life.
FriendofAir

Return to American Environmental Issues