Valley's air quality under siege from fireplace soot

News specifically pertaining to Air Pollution-Related Health Issues

Moderator: turning_blue

Postby Wilberforce » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Stagnant air and fireplace burning create unhealthy conditions.

By Mark Grossi - The Fresno Bee By Mark Grossi The Fresno Bee Thursday, Dec. 29, 2011 | 10:47 PM
Modified Fri, Dec 30, 2011 11:10 AM

Don't take a deep breath in Clovis and Fresno this holiday season if you smell fireplace smoke. The Valley's haze
has become a nasty brew of soot and debris twice the federal health standard.And it's getting worse.Nature and
the economy have created a perfect storm of dirty air -- the worst December bout for the Fresno-Clovis area in
more than a decade.

Despite daily no-burn orders from air authorities, people are lighting wood in their fireplaces, some saying they
can't afford high utility bills during these hard economic times. Others burn wood for extra warmth during this
unusually frosty December.

Adding to the problem, there have been no storms to clean out the San Joaquin Valley this month. Fireplace soot,
diesel exhaust, chemical droplets and other specks hang in the air. Pollution readings keep climbing.

The air is unhealthy for children, the elderly and people with lung and heart problems, air officials say. At times,
it has even been unsafe for healthy adults. Doctors say they are seeing more patients with respiratory problems.

The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District is issuing daily wood-burning bans in most of the eight counties
in the region to protect the public. Air inspectors write $50 tickets to those who are still lighting wood fires. First
offenders can avoid the fine by taking a class on residential wood burning."We would love to have clear, healthy air
and allow people to choose when they want to burn," said district spokeswoman Jaime Holt. "But we have a soup of
pollution out there.

"The district advises people to refrain from strenuous outdoor exercise when readings are high, as they have been
regularly during December. Air quality can vary by location from day to day, but as a region, the Valley has had daily
air violations for four weeks.The region has not experienced such conditions since 2000, when readings spiked nearly
three times the present-day health standard.

Particle pollution here ranks among the nation's worst but it had improved since 2003, when officials began issuing
wood-burning tickets.Now such tickets have more than doubled this year compared to last year, say district officials.

Air district totals through the beginning of the week showed 390 tickets had been written this year, compared with
only 152 at this point last year. Tickets have been written in all eight Valley counties after the district called a total
of 184 countywide burn bans through the beginning of this week. Last year, there had only been 121 bans imposed
over the same time period.

The burn bans seem unfair to Marsha Picton Weaver of Clovis. She said she can't afford to fix her broken heater and
needs to burn wood. She asked the district for an exemption from the burning bans but hasn't qualified yet.

Exemptions are allowed if there is no natural gas available to the residence or if wood burning is the sole source of heat.

In Weaver's case, a one-season exemption is available for a broken heater, but she has yet to prove her case. A repair
estimate must be presented and discussed with the district before the exemption is allowed. Weaver, 62, said she can't
afford the estimate. "My whole family has been sick this year," she said. "I wear so many layers of clothing. It's crazy.
"Weaver was cited for burning illegally last year, and she has not burned wood this month, she said."I'm cold. And I'm
angry," she said. "But I can't afford a fine."Weaver added that she has asthma, which she said is triggered by breathing
cold air. She said she also knows the tiny specks of pollution from a fire can trigger asthma attacks.

Wood smoke is dangerous, health researchers have found. The pollution penetrates deeply into the lungs and can enter
the bloodstream. It has been linked to heart problems and early mortality.Local doctors said they have no doubt there
is a connection between the bad air and respiratory problems right now."I'm seeing plenty of asthma and pulmonary
patients," said Dr. Alex Sherriffs, a Fowler physician who was named this year to both the Valley air board and the
state air governing board. "I ask my patients about it. They tell me it's the bad air."The emergency room at Community
Regional Medical Center in Fresno has not seen an unusual rise in patients during the holidays, officials said. But typically,
when colds and infections spread through communities during the holidays, people go to their doctors, officials said.
Dr. A.M. Aminian, a Fresno allergist, said his patient load has increased."We're seeing a 15% to 20% increase above the
scheduled visits," Aminian said. "It's a real bad time."

source
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/12/29/266 ... place.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Health News