Hearts and Hearth....A Deadly Combination

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Letters to the editor
By Linda Baker Beaudin Air Is Precious

Hearts and Hearth…A Deadly Combination

Hearts and Hearth are a deadly combination. As we acknowledge the importance of February as Heart Month, we are made aware of the role that our environment plays in our heart health. Scientists and Doctors world wide concur that Wood smoke pollution has a grave impact in relationship to our heart health. Wood burning stoves, Wood burning fireplaces, OWBS, pellet stoves, all outdoor open air burning and biomass burning are a threat to our heart.

Millions in Canada suffer from heart disease. Breathing fine particulate matter (PM2.5) can very quickly affect the rhythm of our heart. According to the Heart and Stroke Foundation “Short and long-term exposure to air pollution are estimated to have resulted in 21,000 premature deaths in Canada in 2008 as well as 11,000 hospital admissions.”

“Heart attacks, heart failure and stroke make up an estimated 42 to 69% of deaths and 60% of the hospital admissions linked to poor air quality.”

“When we breathe, we inhale air pollution particles that are carried to the lungs where, says Heart and Stroke Foundation researcher Dr. Stephan van Eeden, they induce inflammation in the lung tissues. This inflammation spills over into the bloodstream and inflames blood vessels, which allows cholesterol and other substances to easily build up, a condition known as atherosclerosis—one of the main causes of heart attacks and stroke”

Wood smoke emissions from residential chimneys and all Wood burning contribute to the polluted air that gravely affects our heart health making millions suffer, become ill and die from Wood smoke related heart disease. Everyone suffers from breathing Wood smoke

Make this February the month you become informed about the deadly toxins found in Wood smoke. Make this the month that you wisely take action to inform and educate others about the grave dangers that Wood smoke pollution plays in your community.

We only have one heart. Why allow Wood smoke Pollution to destroy its perfect performance? We should not. By prohibiting all Wood burning in our communities we can assure that we will live longer, have healthier hearts and enjoy a better quality of life.

Hearts and Hearth are a deadly combination. Protect your heart by breathing healthy air—Wood smoke-free. What better time to take action to ban all Wood smoke than the month of February…Heart Month.

source
http://www.simcoereformer.ca/ArticleDis ... ?e=2945501
_________________________________________________________________________________________

City has responsibility to protect residents
Sunday, 23 January 2011 02:01 Letter to the Editor

Regarding the Jan. 16 letter, "Base wood smoke argument on local numbers" as with issues like second-hand tobacco smoke and food allergies, perhaps Mr. Forster might consider, with some compassion, people who are at risk.

Wood burning does present a threat to the environment and public health, and wood smoke impacts individuals nearby directly, as smoking does in public spaces. Information on the health effects of wood smoke is available from the Lung Association, the Washington State Dept. of Ecology, and similar authorities.

From the first time I heard my daughter coughing late at night because of a wood fire pit, I knew that should not be part of urban life.

My children have each had allergic reactions triggered by neighbourhood smoke, and last winter it gave them burning eyes, irritated, stuffy sinuses, frequent sore throats and coughs and me, a pained chest and terrible, chronic cough. Sometimes two or more neighbourhood chimneys were smoking at once.

We've so appreciated how much better neighbourhood air has been this winter. But on this Monday morning (Jan. 17), we awoke to find smoke blowing in through our registers.

In response to my Nov. 11 letter, a resident phoned to tell me about smoke in their neighbourhood, and said at that time that informing the city had not helped.

No one should ever be forced to breathe neighbourhood wood smoke: not one adult, young or elderly; not one vulnerable growing child. I believe that locally this is not an issue of numbers or of lengthy data collection, but of the city's responsibility to protect residents from harm.

Wood smoke contains harmful compounds and gases, and large amounts of particulate matter. The fine particles cannot be kept outside. Once inhaled, they penetrate deeply into the lungs, where they can injure cells, worsen heart or breathing problems, and may cause permanent damage to lungs. Those are not opinions; they are documented facts.

Cities already have enough pollution, and less-polluting alternatives to wood fires are available. I sincerely hope there is at least one present or future city council member who would advocate protecting clean air, by helping Lethbridge to become wood-smoke free.

Cathy Baiton
Lethbridge

source
http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/letters ... 12311.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups