Emissions tests not the answer

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Postby Wilberforce » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:00 am | Updated: 4:08 pm, Mon Jun 6, 2011.

To the editor:

First, the EPA moves the goalposts, then takes the state of Utah to task for not scoring enough goals.

The new standard of 35 micrograms per cubic meter mentioned in the article (Herald Journal, June 3) leaves out the "of what" they are measuring. The article also fails to mention how many times we failed to meet the standards. To clarify, PM 2.5 is about particulate matter. Bear in mind that most of the man-made particulate matter comes from coal-fired power plants, diesel engines (even school buses), farmers plowing fields, ships offshore, wood burning stoves and other sources that either don't get tested or have liberal allowances for their contribution to pollution..

The EPA or DAQ likely won't test any of those more than they are now, but will want to put our cars through emissons testing. It will generate income for some auto testing stations, but will not likely make a measureable difference in the particulate numbers in Cache Valley.

And they can't do anything about the particulate pollution caused by Mother Nature. She does what she wants ... and that includes inversion layer events.

If we are serious about particulate matter, the first thing we do is go after the largest sources. Prescribed burns of forests is one - off-road/commercial use of diesel is another. Will the huge trucks and earth movers at the coal mines have to be emissions tested? Ships entering our ports? I doubt it.

Coal fired power plants are still dirty after all the "cleaning" they do. Any time you hear someone using the term "clean coal," you are listening to a liar.

Coal can be made a little cleaner, much the same as my desk is made cleaner by removing just one of the 47 or so items that are on it at the moment. But it still isn't clean. Here is my proposal to compensate for a dirty desk ... I will keep my sock drawer cleaner.

Doesn't make sense, does it? Neither does testing cars while the really big particulate polluters are excused.

William E. Moore

Hyde Park

source
http://news.hjnews.com/opinion/article_ ... 03286.html
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups