Tree hugging bunny humping environmentalists

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 pm

"when i was living in alaska the tree hugging bunny humping environmentalists were trying to get a law passed to ban using wood stoves and burning firewood for heat. based on "expert readings" taken around the greater fairbanks area that showed evidence that there was enough woodsmoke in the air to cause health problems.

here's the kicker. alaska has lots of forest, hundreds of millions of square miles. and they have forest fires. big ones. REALLY BIG ONES. every year. depending on the winds and where you happen to be, the air can stay thick enough to choke on it for weeks at a time in the summer.

and somehow they are convinced that stopping people from burning firewood will actually reduce the amount of woodsmoke in the air.

they didn't manage to pass the wood stoves ban, to my knowledge. i think they realized after further study that sending "inspectors" out to people's houses way out in the bush to tell them to stop burning wood when it's 60 below zero would only end up with a lot of "inspectors" getting fed to grizzly bears."

source
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ?page=1#20

It is always interesting to learn that that wildfire smoke is horrific and bad, while woodstove smoke is welcome and good.

____________________________________________________________________________________

We should be able to burn if we want to
Teresa Erickson, The Citizen
Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Regarding the letter to the editor from Gord McAulay on backyard burning. I totally agree. I am very tired of being dictated to by other people as to what we can and can't do on our own property.

As it is now, you can only burn outdoors during two months of the year and only one of those months is in the fall.

How that can have such a huge impact on the whole winter's air quality is a mystery to me. Wood stoves are another matter, they probably do impact air quality, but we burn ours with dry wood and a hot fire and do not think all of us who do that should be punished along with the few who burn wood or garbage and damp down their stoves which creates a lot of smoke.

Also regarding the people who went for a drive to get away from the smoke! I think the heavy metals etc. from the exhausts of vehicles are a lot more polluting (all year long) than wood smoke. If all the complainers cared so much about the air quality certainly our buses would be full on every route!

We are already regulated to death! Its time for us to make our voices heard. People who agree, please make your views known! Thanks Mr. McAulay.

Teresa Erickson Chemainus
© Cowichan Valley Citizen 2012

source
http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalleyci ... 4f1f1c9ed0

Now then, what about MY OWN private property, which is being invaded, overrun, trespassed upon,
devalued, molested, ruined, polluted, and contaminated by poison gases?

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups