Kickin Boot Whiskey Kitchen is spewing toxic burnt woodsmoke

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Kickin Boot Whiskey Kitchen is spewing toxic burnt woodsmoke

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Letter to the editor: Do Kickin' Boot owners care about the community?
08/21/2012

Dear editor,

The owners of Matador, the new Kickin' Boot Whiskey Kitchen and third a soon-to-be seafood restaurant on Ballard Ave are making a point of destroying part of the historic Ballard neighborhood for their own financial gain.

Their new mega restaurant/bar venture, Kickin' Boot Whiskey Kitchen, is spewing toxic burnt wood smoke fumes into the Old Historic Ballard neighborhood. They have decided to ignore the pleas of nearby residents such as myself and continue to burn firewood in their giant meat smokers and mesquite grill day and night, 7 days a week. The smoke is so overpowering and pervasive in the immediate vicinity of the restaurant that we cannot open any windows or exterior doors without having our dwellings permeated by and reeking of burnt wood smoke. You could equate the degree of smoke exhaust and resulting smoke permeation and penetration into our residences to someone burning a wood campfire outside your bedroom/living room window.

The health and environmental impact upon us (nearby residents, workers and business/property owners) is acute and extreme. Instead of the pleasant smell of saltwater from the canal, we are being subjected to the intense odor of burnt wood exhaust and rained upon by its toxic residue 7 days a week. Breathing in these toxins on a daily basis can be a severe health issue. Over time, the nearby buildings, trees, rain water and soil in Old Ballard will be covered and infiltrated by toxic burnt wood residue.

I personally made the owners of the restaurant aware of their intense smoke exhaust and its impact over a month and a half ago. Their response to me was, ”Thank you for making us aware, but it's possible nothing will be done.” The owners are continuing to proceed with their daily wood burning and there is no remedy or solution to the acknowledged exhaust problem in sight.

Is this the type of business and business owners we want to support in our community of Ballard? The Kickin' Boot owners have no concern for their fellow Ballard neighbors and property owners. They are opening another restaurant exactly like this one in a residential neighborhood in Portland. It is becoming quite clear that they are not part of our community, nor do they wish to participate with us in being a good and responsible Ballard neighbor.

Wayne K., Longtime Ballard Resident

Leave a message...

Discussion
Community

Avatar
Lingering Headache. • 13 minutes ago

Thanks for writing this article. This situation is worse than I think people believe that do not have to live by Kickin Boots. Since their opening I had an on going headache and I never get headaches. I am losing sleep due to a constant minor headache and for the fact that my apartment is over powered by a back country camp fire smell. I come home and my apartment smells as if I just got back from a week long camping trip and all my gear is piled on the floor and saturated with the campfire smell. It is a horrible situation that I cannot do anything about. It isn't like I can just wash my gear and the smell goes away. I am now forced to live with this toxic wood smoke smell.

Aside from the unpleasant fact that my apartment is saturated with a wood smoke smell and aside from the fact that I may have to live with a dull headache due to the smell and aside from the fact that Kickin Boots hasn't lifted a finger to do anything about it, and aside from the fact that I can't sleep well with these hounding wafts of pounding toxicity , one of the things that really is upsetting is I used to be able to smell the salt water of the canal. The smell of the sea air is/was one of the great things of living in Ballard. No more. Hell, I can't even be 2 blocks away without getting wafts of the damned wood smoker. Imagine what the apartments smell like that are right next door. So much for Ballard air. The whole of Ballard smells of a country fair all the time now. The problem with that is I don't live in the country and if I wanted to experience that kind of atmosphere I would visit the fair. I don't want it forced on me.

I am hoping that something will be done. And in the mean time of this all being sorted out, if Kickin Boots really wanted to be a good neighbor, they might go the those that have placed complaints and offer to pay their rent while they work out a solution.

Signed.
A Lingering Headache.
PS. they should also throw in a few bucks for the Advil that I am having to go through.
0

Reply

Share ›
Avatar
Julian E. • 3 hours ago

I have lived in downtown Ballard for the past 11 years, and in Seattle proper for 40 years before that. This situation with the Whiskey Kitchen is appalling. Personally, I am boycotting the place. Why? Well, first, apparently, the owners have no consideration for the residents who live in the immediate area and who, I am sure, constitute a portion of their clientele. They have no compunction about sending their fumes into the surrounding streets and open windows of residences. Apparently, they have not made any effort to really investigate solutions to remedy the situation. Do they think that those of us who live in Ballard don't eat out in our own neighborhood? Wrong! I do, and I was about to check out the establishment before I heard my old friend and neighbor tell me about the smoke that has invaded his apartment building and that has also resulted in his developing a cough. In case these businessmen haven't noticed, Ballard is a residential neighborhood, packed with downtown condos and apartments.

This is a real community here--we love our local businesses, we patronize them, we bring our out-of-town guests to them. And we pass on our opinions and experiences to our neighbors--whom we meet at the health clubs, coffee houses, and other establishments. If the owners of the Whiskey Kitchen ignore the attempts at communication that their neighbors have been making, then all I have to say is--not only are you poor businessmen, you're also heartless people because you don't care that you are sending sickening smoke into folks' homes.

There are so many wonderful small businesses in Ballard, and I try to spend my hard-earned money here when I buy a book, a cinnamon roll, a unique gift, or an Indian, Mexican, or Japanese dinner. If you're here to buy up property and a make a profit with big box restaurants, good luck with that. You may make money, but you won;t be loved and respected by your community. And in my book, that matters.
0

Reply

Share ›
Avatar
Todd • 5 hours ago

As a Ballard resident right behind the Kickin Boot restaurant I was initially a little excited to see a new restaurant go in our neighborhood. Since they've opened, I've completely changed my opinion. I've had headaches quite a bit since they've opened and my loft smells like a constant campfire. I can only imagine what this is doing to my health given the constant inhalation of smoke. I also have children that come and visit me that I don't want subjected to constant toxic smoke inhalation. I'm hoping the owners can work with their neighbors and come up with a solution that keeps our neighborhood fun and desirable.
0

Reply

Share ›

source
http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/2012/ ... owners-car
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
User avatar
Wilberforce
 
Posts: 6106
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 pm
Location: USA

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron