they are concerned about dioxins and carcinogens!

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

they are concerned about dioxins and carcinogens!

Postby Wilberforce » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm

A thread I lifted from The Arborist (a wood-burner's site)
It seems that they are concerned about dioxins and carcinogens from burning wood soaked in oil
(don't they realize that woodsmoke itself contains all of these toxins anyway?)

the question
"Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?
Several people have told me that they dispose of their used motor oil by pouring it ontop of there stacked, dry firewood. Supposed to increase the btu value of the firewood. Whaddya' think?"

the responses
"Not a good idea. Not good on a whole bunch of different levels.
I'm sure we'll have somebody post who's "been doing it for years" and other than a nagging cough, black soot all over everything, an oily stench that permeates the whole house, and a marked spike in cancer rates for the area downwind, hasn't suffered any ill effects at all."

"Seems to me people are missing the point. It shouldn't smell , or smoke that bad. There are used oil burners everywhere, that are not as hot as our stoves. The real problem is when it runs down the wood pile to the ground, and into the water table. Especially the synthetic oil. I have herd that synthetic will slip by all the dirt and rocks. It doesn't stop until it hits the water table and spreads. Those are the idiots that spread all the bad cancer to Innocent children, and people in general. They should all be shot.
Who ever doe's this, knock it off! and smarten up!"

"I have the "owb mentality" and that to me is to use it as responsibly as possible so I can continue to enjoy it for years to come. That same "mentality" prevents me from burning anything (in the owb) that shouldn't be burned...i.e., oil. Most of us also get to enjoy some of the best water in the world, pumped right from under our homes. Why anyone would want to risk destroying that huge gift/blessing I will never understand."

"When I lived north of Madison, my neighbor had a OWB that he burned railroad ties in. When the wind was right, it'd about choke you to death. Pissed me off to no end. Blew me away that he never got complaints (or at least I never heard of any). Guys like him are the reason OWBs are getting banned."

"used oil from the incomplete combustion emitted into the atmosphere heavy metals and dioxins are all that is carcinogenic"

"You know this means I'm gonna have to put some oil on a piece of wood and burn it, just to see for myself and take notes... Might even have to chart the temps at which the VOC's are actually burnt vs just creating a noxious smoke..."

"Wow I wonder if the same people who make Marvel Mystery Oil produce this "waste oil" it seems to have the same list of "cures" ..or uses. I guess they just skip the carcinogens accumulated while the by products of the combustion process build up though.. Or is that just another old wives tale...."

"It wasn't that long ago when people thought asbestos had many uses too. Would you use all that oil if it was clean ? And you had to pay for it ? Oil and used oil are not the same thing. It it America still and you can do as you will. "

"What about ground water contamination? "

"Does any one pour used motor oil on there stacked firewood?
was that a joke? "

"Have you ever seen 1 drop of oil hit water or wet ground? In 5 min there is a large oil film on the water. When the water sheds of the oiled wood do you think its not carrying some oil with it to the ground and down.
Whitey, you seem to have alot of knowledge of a lot of things, although a little pig headed. But this time sir, I think the pig head is burried deep up the arse. synthetic wont soak in. just run of and down till it hits the water table. Just because people did things in the past not knowing the facts, does not mean now that we have new information its ok to keep doing it. "

"Yup...exactly right. The only problem is, it won't be us that does the paying. It will be our kids and our grandkids who have to stand the bill for our foolishness.
If we poison our water and foul our air we're not leaving them much of a world."
That doesn't seem quite fair.

"Anyone remember Times Beach? "

"And don't forget Love Canal. Hooker chemical (I not making the name up) dumped dioxin on the site and some genius thought it would by O.K. to build a developement there. "

"After poisoning my well and ground water.
My lawyer will beat up Your lawyer.
You will loose all you own.
Worth it?"

"ah, so air pollution from burning wood is ok then. Where is the line? What about all the people that don't burn wood? 699 billion people breathing wood smoke so one fella in new jersey can save $100 on his heating bill? judge not, lest ye be judged...just sayin'
Good point, doobie57z. We do need to draw those lines and that is where an oft-maligned entity, namely government, comes into play. Government exists to perform functions that we as individuals cannot perform or would choose not to. The EPA-certified stove I have now puts out a fraction of the pollution my old smoke dragons did. Thanks, EPA! "

"Funny thing is, that used motor oil has the same potential as some of the more noxious stuff used around a farm, and is many times more persistent in the ground."
It just dosn't have warning labels all over it, and the effects might not be noticed as quick.
Stop and think about it a minuite. Ya wouldn't set up a lead melting pot, and set to casting sinkers and bullets in the living room right?
Lead oxide vapors in an enclosed space and all, and the issue of contaminating the whole area? Only a complete moron would do such a thing if they knew right?"

"This is exactly the type of thread that is going to be taken out of context by some environmental group looking to ban wood burning in their area. "
(Then us wood burners should strive to be a good example to others, and follow best practices, so they don't have a reason to ban wood burning.)
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups