Converting wood burning fireplace into a gas fireplace

Personal Situations - Problems or Solutions.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Converting wood burning fireplace into a gas fireplace

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Converting wood burning fireplace into a gas fireplace without installing gas line? (self.HomeImprovement)

submitted 21 hours ago* by _riblet_

We currently have a wood-burning fireplace, but due to family members having asthma, we never burn anything in there. I'm considering converting it to a gas fireplace, but I don't want to do any major remodeling or spend a lot of money on it. I've been trying to research it online, but haven't had much luck. I really don't know anything about this. Is it possible to get a gas insert that is just the logs without the big metal box/glass covering it? (I'd like it to still resemble a wood-burning fireplace if possible since our house is decorated in a rustic fashion). And how does it work without having a gas line connected to it? Or is that not possible? Any info would be great! Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I should have clarified what I'm looking for. I was wondering if they make gas burning fire places that have small tanks attached (like a camping stove). I don't want to tear open walls to install a gas line, but if there was a self-contained unit I'd be interested. Right now we have logs sitting there for decoration and it looks nice, but I would like a heat source from it.

My main concern is having to open walls and do repairs afterwards, especially in an old house with plaster walls.

source
http://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement ... nto_a_gas/
• The Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to ambient smoke!

• If you smell even a subtle odor of smoke, you are being exposed to poisonous and carcinogenic chemical compounds!

• Even a brief exposure to smoke raises blood pressure, (no matter what your state of health) and can cause blood clotting, stroke, or heart attack in vulnerable people. Even children experience elevated blood pressure when exposed to smoke!

• Since smoke drastically weakens the lungs' immune system, avoiding smoke is one of the best ways to prevent colds, flu, bronchitis, or risk of an even more serious respiratory illness, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis! Does your child have the flu? Chances are they have been exposed to ambient smoke!
Wilberforce

Return to Opinion Letters, Blogs, and Discussion Groups