Please share letters sent/written to your officials here!!!

Be a part of the solution to air pollution.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Please share letters sent/written to your officials here!!!

Postby turning_blue » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 am

With your help and input, we would like to draft a sample letter for people to send to their officials.

If any forum members would like to share letters that they have sent or written, please do so here in this thread. We would appreciate any other suggestions you might have too.

If you are reading this, and are not yet signed up to this forum....PLEASE DO!!!! We need your help too!

Sincerely,
blue
turning_blue

Postby turning_blue » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Thank you Shirley.

We are being poisoned with our neighbors' smoke at this moment. They have long gone to bed and the stench is just hanging in the air, hovering on our property and seeping into our home. They pollute the entire neighborhood.

Your letter is very helpful, thank you so much for sharing. You are right about taking bits and pieces from several letters to come up with one super effective one.

[/b]
turning_blue

Postby turning_blue » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.advocatesforchildren.org/pub ... s_2005.pdf

Starting on page 30 of this document you will see several sample letters that could provide some assistance in drafting a complaint letter. Change it to fit your situation and specific complaint.

These are simple letters. Shirley's is a good example for wood smoke. It mentions the hazards and suggestions for new laws. It might be a good idea to send a study and other education materials to provide you with a more persuasive case.
turning_blue

Actions taken.

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am

Just e-mailed Obama at www.change.gov. Page one says tell us your story, so I did. Said I was going to try to e-mail a 40 page report. A miniture version of CAR. Photos, smoke stories, news, and my personal story. Mushroom lane asked me to, so I did. Also phoned. The person I talked to was very interested and recommended e- mailing as the fastest and best way to go. A mailed report would take weeks. An e-mail is instant. I'll try to post a 3 page letter here if I can figure out how to take it from wordpad to e-mail to here. Mushroom Lane said she has written many e-mails to the EPA and gotten no response but hopes the Obama team will be different.

Nancy Sutley can be called at 510-520-6600. Her website is www.sutley.nancy@epa.gov. Ms. Sutley is from the L.A. Mayors office and helped get the ban on woodburning equipment in new construction.

I like Shirlie's and Smokeless in Vancouver's petitions. I would like to know how Hampstead Ontario decided to ban woodburning and work off whatever arguments got them to take action. I think it was learning that woodburning is one half the winter air pollution or to word it differently, woodsmoke leads to twice as much air pollution in the winter, and we can't really handle what we have from just oil and gas at about 30 mcg/m3. The total would be about 60 mcg/m3 and this can cause heart attacks and asthma attacks per Dr. Brown and American hospitals.

It looks like the blog from Montreal below this one may have gotten something started. It emphasized that 50% of winter pollution is from woodburning. Shirlies website has a letter saying that was the thing that convinced the Hampstead Town Official.
Ernest Grolimund

E-mailed www.usafredomcorps.gov at the Whitehouse.

Postby Ernest Grolimund » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Called Whitehouse. Operator switched me to a comment line. It's not up and running yet, but they say it is coming soon. A phone message said people can e-mail: www.USAFreedomCorps.gov to volunteer so I e - mailed. One page. Talked about problems with NSPS standards clashing with ambient air standards. Talked about chip boilers, owb's, fireplaces, stoves. You all know the story. Talked about lobbyists dominating science and praised Obama for his call to end the effect of lobbyists. Praised call to end suppression of science. Praised his call to service. Mentioned problem getting other engineers to even do 5 min calculations involving 4th grade math. Mentioned lack of estimates of equipment emissions in terms of mcg/m3.

Then, surprise. I got an instant e - mail back. What a change!!! Too bad it was from a computer. But it was nice to get something back. The e - mail included a promise to contact me. I have done this in the past and got some good things out of it. So, you never know what can happen. It inspired me to do it again.

Called EPA - Boston. Got nowhere. Encountered the usual computer phone system and screening. Left messages but don't think anyone will call back or do anything. The EPA is in shambles. The main bldg was sabotaged, it sounded like. Their computer system was crashed and there was a power failure, so phones were not working. What a disaster.

So, I started calling at the bottom requesting an appt. to talk to the local administrator to resolve some problems and get some simple estimates. I also started working from the top down.

You may think you cannot do anything and nobody will listen. But sometimes you can break through. I got the Boston office of the EPA to take the woodchip boiler problem up the ladder. They are studying it as a result. The NSPS problem too. I got an e - mail back from Roy Huntley saying that the EPA is going to change the woodburning equipment standards. I got the Env Def Fund working on this 2 years ago with Mary's help and Julie Mellum's help. Pictures, letters, stories.

Obama is actually calling for our comments and asking us to help. If we see a mistake, he wants us to call and help correct the problem. What a refreshing change. Like to talk instead? Try 877-USA-CORP. I'll probably try that too. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I am too busy calling and writing to figure out how to do all the computer scanning and transferring of files to put my letters here. But people do not need a form letter. Just open up your hearts. Seperate letters will have more of an effect. But petitions are another thing. If someone at CAR could do this it might help. CAR gets a lot visitors. Keep up the good work.
Ernest Grolimund

Return to Take Action in Your Community: Local Groups