Some Letters

Be a part of the solution to air pollution.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Some Letters

Postby Wilberforce » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:22 am

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
May 06, 2008
Slash burns unhealthful

Paul Fattig's story about the effects of slash burning failed to address the known adverse health
effects caused by increases in particulate matter pollution caused by BLM-style burning.

For a tiny increase of 10 micrograms per cubic meter in PM pollution, these are the known
statistical health effects: 4 percent increase in pulmonary deaths; 6 percent more cardiovascular
deaths; 8 percent more lung cancer deaths; 12 percent more heart disease; 13 percent increase
in arrhythmia. (Source: Pope Study, 1995, for the American Cancer Society.)

Other recent studies (compiled by the EPA and Dr. William Lambert at OHSU) show that short-
term exposures to large increases in PM — which is exactly what slash burning creates — are
far more harmful to humans than long-term exposure to low PM concentrations; as a result,
slash burning is one of the worst things the BLM could possibly do to injure public health, not
to mention local visibility and thus the local economy and local real estate values.

There are mulching and composting and biomass alternatives often available to substitute for
slash burning. The BLM knows this and should change its policies accordingly.

Conde Cox, Jacksonville

source
Southern Oregon Media Group: Mail Tribune.com
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 6/-1/rss08

Objects to neighbour's fire pit
June 05, 2008

Editor:

It's a fine warm summer evening; a lovely night to sit outside on the patio. A neighbour
lights a fire and the wood smoke forces us inside.

It has just finished raining. The air should be fresh and clean - a perfect night to sleep
with the windows wide open. Someone down the street starts a fire and pollutes the
neighbourhood. The windows must be closed.

These people don't know that wood smoke is every bit or even more carcinogenic than
cigarette smoke. Not a nice thing to unnecessarily inflict on your fellows.

Bob Lougheed
Canmore

Rocky Mountain Outlook / Alberta Local News (Canada)

source article
Objects to neighbour's fire pit
Wilberforce

Postby turning_blue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:01 pm

This is exactly what happens on my street. There will be a thunderstorm and the air is so fresh. I dream about opening a window as soon as the rain stops to smell clean fresh air. This is the best luxury for me, breathing FRESH air. It seems as soon as it's done raining someone will always light a fire. My air is quickly polluted.
turning_blue

Postby FriendofAir » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:26 am

turning_blue wrote:This is exactly what happens on my street. There will be a thunderstorm and the air is so fresh. I dream about opening a window as soon as the rain stops to smell clean fresh air. This is the best luxury for me, breathing FRESH air. It seems as soon as it's done raining someone will always light a fire. My air is quickly polluted.

ditto,
except they often light fires while it is raining, as well as after.
FriendofAir

Return to Take Action in Your Community: Local Groups