READY MADE ORDINANCE to give to your local politicians

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

READY MADE ORDINANCE to give to your local politicians

Postby momofteen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Here is a link to a MODEL ORDINANCE FOR OUTDOOR AND OPEN BURNING
A Guide for Michigan Counties, Cities, Villages, and Townships
Michigan

www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ess-c ... inance.pdf

HEre is a quote from the introduction:

"MODEL ORDINANCE FOR OUTDOOR AND OPEN BURNING
A Guide for Michigan Counties, Cities, Villages, and Townships
INTRODUCTION
While it may seem harmless, outdoor burning generates air pollution, which affects human health and is the source of many odor and nuisance complaints. This model ordinance was developed by the Michigan Departments of Environmental Quality and Natural Resources in conjunction with the Michigan Townships Association to help Michigan cities, villages, townships, and counties regulate outdoor burning and open burning. A municipality may use this ordinance as a model to create its own burning ordinance. The required provisions in this model ordinance meet the state of Michigan open burning restrictions. The suggested optional provisions have been included to allow a municipality to be more restrictive than what the state regulations require. Although not required, these optional provisions are recommended to reduce the amount of air pollution generated by outdoor burning and the adverse health effects associated with it. The model is intended to be advisory only. A municipality is not required to adopt this ordinance; however, a local ordinance cannot be less restrictive than the state requirements outlined in this document"

I found this after my own daughter had multiple visits to the hospital for asthma attacks when a neighbor (we have 60' lots) had raging bonfires EVERY NITE 20' from my home, on the side of his own home to avoid smoke in his home, no thought about it going into our home, though!

We cannot move, Michigan economy has trapped us in this house, houses sit on the market 2 or more years in this neighborhood unsold. We could never afford a home with lots of property.

Here is a link to the complete website:
http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-13 ... --,00.html

Thank you Michigan DEQ!
momofteen

Postby FriendofAir » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Have you tried talking to your neighbor? Ask him to try a fire on the other side of his house so they can experience the consequences first hand.

If they won't try that, ask the neighbor next to him to burn a fire?
FriendofAir

Postby Harley » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:16 pm

FriendofAir wrote:Have you tried talking to your neighbor? Ask him to try a fire on the other side of his house so they can experience the consequences first hand.

If they won't try that, ask the neighbor next to him to burn a fire?

FoA - to be honest, I think that was an excellent reply, and agree with it whole hartedly. As you probably know - I generally tend to thing that things can be fixed better by one-on-one talks with neighbors, rather than through legislation or litigation (and often - maybe a lot quicker too).

And sorry to everyone if this sounds like its picking on momofteen, its really not. There's a lot of solutions possible here, and, quite frankly I doubt whether or not any effort was put into changing the situation.

"I found this after my own daughter had multiple visits to the hospital for asthma attacks when a neighbor (we have 60' lots) had raging bonfires EVERY NITE 20' from my home, on the side of his own home to avoid smoke in his home, no thought about it going into our home, though! "

I'm sorry, but if your child has had multiple visits to the hospital because of what you may percieve as being only caused by the neighbor, than you (I'll keep the language clean) better do something about it - have you even tried, or are you just looking for backing for a lawsuit?

"We cannot move, Michigan economy has trapped us in this house, houses sit on the market 2 or more years in this neighborhood unsold. We could never afford a home with lots of property."

Yes, momofteen, you can move - if you really have more concerns about your daughter's health, rather than having "lots of property".

Again, sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you do live in a rural area (with lots of property), then its probably a pretty good chance of having someone in the neighborhood that burns wood. You can either take the issues to the neighbor and try to have it fixed, or you can just complain about it and hope that someone else fixes it for you. "Raging bonfires EVERY NIGHT, 20' from my home" does sound pretty unreasonable, but quite frankly, my guess is that would be a little bit of an exaggeration on your part.
Harley

Postby momofteen » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:40 pm

HArley - LOL! you have nothing better to do than knock down people trying to peacefully solve a problem and not running away from it.
Keep attacking, but before you waste the evening typing back stuff to try to hurt me more - might be better spent out taking a walk or time with your kids, as I won't be checking back to see what you have to say, everyone sees you for what you are by your response. I will answer some of your questions, though, as I would hate to see someone else try to solve this problem by running away from it and selling a beloved home.

It is ridiculous, I shouldn't have to move or run from my home. Regardless if I can afford it or not. There are ordinances for decibel levels, isn't smoke and danger of causing a fire as disruptive as loud music? Worse?

I could move and have the same problem in the next house - moving doesn't solve the problem, you are right, I shouldn't have even brought it up - thanks for making me realize this is not a viable solution.

I am not suing, nor have ever sued anyone.

Yes we did speak to them - many times. The guy is a smoker who also swears up and down his second hand smoke doesn't really hurt anyone, and has complained about his sister not letting him smoke in the car when her kids are in it - that is the type of person he is - he really believes himself when he says these things ...you know ... if it feels good do it....who cares about anyone it affects.

He said once ordinance goes through he will stop. There have been no harsh words between us, we talk. He is actually talking about getting a gas outdoor fireplace, and we offered to pay to run the gas line for him if he does as a peace making effort.

The fire chief THANKED me for finding this ordinance, one EMT told me there are several elderly folks in the immediate vicinity who are also impacted by the smoke.
momofteen

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.