Chimineas and fire pits a potential hazard

Be a part of the solution to air pollution.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Chimineas and fire pits a potential hazard

Postby turning_blue » Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 am

http://www.townofajax.com/Page1457.aspx ... eMode=View

Another way to harm the neighbors. After they've been smoked out all winter long from wood burning fireplaces, wood stoves, and OWB's, now they have to choke on the smoke from these.
turning_blue

Wellfleet MA

Postby turning_blue » Sun May 11, 2008 8:52 am

"The Wellfleet (MA) Fire Department allows the use of chimineas and out door fireplaces provided the following conditions are met:"

Look at the first to "conditions" on the list.

http://www.wellfleetma.org/Public_Docum ... osheet.pdf
turning_blue

Postby Wilberforce » Sun May 11, 2008 3:10 pm

"holding a marshmallow or hot dog on a stick over the flames
when the fire truck arrives does not legalize the activity."

I got into an argument with a firepit enthusiast who tried to "cook up" that inane loophole.

She claimed: "As long as I am cooking, they can't do anything about my fire. We cook our hot
dogs over our firepit, and then sit around the fire for the next few hours. Sometimes we just
keep a package of uncooked hot dogs out there, just in case a fire truck comes by."

This is what is wrong with this picture:

• This pyro-aficionado obviously knows the law, therefore cannot righteously claim ignorance of it.

• It is legal to cook food over an outdoor grill in my town. But the town ordinance states that
the only type of fire which may be legally employed: (1) a gas or propane appliance specifically
designed for cooking food intended for human consumption, or (2) a small metal vessel, intended
for the usage of special charcoal fuel (not wood) for the same purpose. A firepit does not fit this
designation, in that it was intended for another unrelated purpose (that purpose is not cooking.)

• A backyard pyro enthusiast may not use the cooking devices improperly, that is, build a small
bonfire in a weber grill, wok, or hibachi, (which is intended for charcoal only) purely for the purpose
of their needless selfish enjoyment of an illegal conflagration.

The funny thing about this incident was that she is a health-care professional, (RN) someone
who should know better about the health danger from wood smoke (one would think?)
Wilberforce

Postby woodburner » Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Why do you think it's OK to cook over charcoal, but not over wood? Isn't charcoal usually made of wood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal
woodburner

Postby Wilberforce » Tue May 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I'm just stating how the law reads. I've cooked over charcoal, although I now use propane.
While charcoal grilling may generate a small amount of smoke if fat drips onto the coals, that
is nothing compared to what some folks do: place wet wood chips on to the coals in order
to create a much smoke as possible.

I've read some of the writings of master chefs - they tell us that when smoking foods, a little
goes a long way. Too much smoking makes meats taste bitter, for example. They also don't
recommend smoking foods with delicate flavors, (such as poultry) as it overpowers the taste
of the meat. That leaves us with bad 'ol red meat - the kind of meat "real" people eat -
so say the TV ads.

P.S. I'm a "non-smoker"
Wilberforce

Return to Take Action in Your Community: Local Groups