Ok convince me not to buy another wood stove

Air out your smoke complaint here. We can give advice from members who have found themselves in a similar situation as yours, gasping for a breath of fresh air.

Moderator: pm2.5mary

Ok convince me not to buy another wood stove

Postby woodburner » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 pm

I've got a room that's built over crawl space and is an addition to my house. I need to add some form of supplemental heat for this room as it can get a bit chilly given that it is not directly heated. The only option that seems reasonable to me right now is a $130 small wood stove from ace hardware. Feel free to talk me out of it though, I'm open to other suggestions as I'm not really looking forward to burning 2 fires in my home. The problems I'm facing are financial. I don't need something that's going to put out a lot of BTUs, because it only needs to heat one room. Here are the other options I've considered and why I've ruled most of them out.

Ventless gas - produces harmful carbon monoxide which is released directly into living space. These are not healthy.

Direct vent gas: These are very expensive. I can't find any for less than 1000 let alone under 400.

Pellet stoves: Expensive, high maintenance. The maintenance I can deal with, but to get a decent one they cost quite a bit from what I've seen. The cheap ones are terrible to use.

Electric: I'm not sure about this one. Are there any decent options here?
woodburner

Postby FriendofAir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:38 pm

I have used my share of electric space heaters. They seem to be reasonable in price, $20-$80 typically. If you're not using it all a time, the cost of operation may not be too high. Certainly the installation would be far easier and cheaper than typical triple wall insulated flue pipe, cutting a hole in the roof etc.
FriendofAir

Postby Anti-Cancer from New York » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm

:lol: :lol:

dear woodburner: my accountant co-worker suggested Ceramic Electric Heaters--especially the kind with numerical temperatures. They are cheapest of all the electric heaters to run. i have one on now. it is by lasko, from walmart, called the pivotal heater. it has never cost me more than 10 dollars extra a month. they are great. if need be, you could use two in a room . a friend of mine loves it, and my neighbor has a couple and gave one to his son. the pivotal one by lasko, does not get hot and keeps you warm. i have a total of 3 of them and bought 2 for my parents.
Woodsmoke causes cancer. Woodsmoke kills. Cigarette smoke kills 1200 people a day in America. About 1 out of 2 people now have cancer in the United States. Without your health, you have nothing
Anti-Cancer from New York

Postby begreen9 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:22 am

[quote="Anti-Cancer from New York"]:lol: :lol:

dear woodburner: my accountant co-worker suggested Ceramic Electric Heaters--especially the kind with numerical temperatures. They are cheapest of all the electric heaters to run. i have one on now. it is by lasko, from walmart, called the pivotal heater. it has never cost me more than 10 dollars extra a month. they are great. if need be, you could use two in a room . a friend of mine loves it, and my neighbor has a couple and gave one to his son. the pivotal one by lasko, does not get hot and keeps you warm. i have a total of 3 of them and bought 2 for my parents.[/quote]

Your accountant is to be kind, uniformed. A ceramic heater uses no more or less electricity. Watts used per hour are just that and the heat output is the same. This is just silly non-science and BS.
begreen9

Postby UncleRich » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:51 pm

Woodburner:
Buy the stove. Buy either the wood burner or pellet. Pellets are more expensive than wood, but have their advantages. A good stove needs attention whether wood or pellet. Don't buy any stove that is not EPA approved. The hardware stove at $130 is probably not approved. You would be able to find a good quality small stove in wood or pellet from someone moving to a larger stove. Small quality stoves are readily available in the Spring and Summer. Install it to code, stock your fuel and enjoy the warmth.
UncleRich

Postby VT Woodburner » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:25 am

Get the stove.

Most people actually think electricity comes from the WALL, not a power plant fueled by coal. Coal is the biggest fuel source for electrical generation in the USA.

If you lived in PA, electricity would be a good way to go as most power there is nuclear, and the cost of electricity is among the lowest in the nation. But it also doesn't get as cold there as it does in upstate NY.

Stay with the stove.
VT Woodburner

Postby woodburner » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:19 am

I've actually since decided to put in an outdoor wood boiler which will more effectively heat my whole house (including that room) and my workshop/rec room as well. Thanks for all your advice.
woodburner

Postby Anti-Cancer from New York » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 pm

i am glad i am not your neighbor, as i would have to move far, far , away from the woodsmoke that you will breathing.
have fun breathing in the woodsmoke. as the report says: when smoke gets in your lungs....
Woodsmoke causes cancer. Woodsmoke kills. Cigarette smoke kills 1200 people a day in America. About 1 out of 2 people now have cancer in the United States. Without your health, you have nothing
Anti-Cancer from New York

Return to Smoke Complaints and Advice from our members.